British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-13, 08:26 PM

Default Blackened Welch

Anyone have any idea as to why this would have been painted black. The badge is fine and has an oval sweat hole and shows dirt over the paint so not recently done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black welch obverse.jpg (64.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg black welch reverse.jpg (57.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg black welch oblique.jpg (43.2 KB, 21 views)

Jerry
Old 20-09-13, 01:05 PM

At various times over the last hundred years combat units have blackened their badges because they can be very visible and make an excellent target.
Old 20-09-13, 01:11 PM

Hi Jerry, I would go for that also. Here are some Gloucestershire one's painted for what I think the same reason.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=81071

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=81070

Simon.
Old 20-09-13, 01:19 PM

Hussar and Simon,

You are almost certainly correct as that makes the most sense.

I know some of the WWI Welsh Territorials wore a blackened badge, though the only one that used the C spelling did not blacken theirs, so not one of them and WWII done for subdued usage seems most likely.

As an aside I have an RWF plastic that has also been blackened, well very dark brown, though with that I had wondered if it had been done to make it look more like the OSD though to subdue it is again more likely.

Jerry
Old 20-09-13, 01:39 PM

If it's plastic or staybrite JB then it may have been blackened for Op Banner (Northern Ireland).
Old 20-09-13, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
If it's plastic or staybrite JB then it may have been blackened for Op Banner (Northern Ireland).
It is the WWII type economy plastic so probably not related to Operation Banner I think.

Jerry
Old 20-09-13, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
It is the WWII type economy plastic so probably not related to Operation Banner I think.
Just a thought. That's all. Thinking out loud.
Old 20-09-13, 04:38 PM

Jerry,
Two 1st War units are thought to have used the "C" spelling, the 11th & 16th i.e both the Cardiff battalions. The only ones to the 11th that I have seen were lugged and of one piece construction. I have no proof of use yet for the 16th but the CO was very keen on it and I have this in copy documents.
As far as I am aware only the 7th (another Cardiff unit) were authorised to wear blackened badges and I have only seen photos of them wearing these pre-war. As such I'm not sure they were worn in Theatre.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Hussar and Simon,

You are almost certainly correct as that makes the most sense.

I know some of the WWI Welsh Territorials wore a blackened badge, though the only one that used the C spelling did not blacken theirs, so not one of them and WWII done for subdued usage seems most likely.

As an aside I have an RWF plastic that has also been blackened, well very dark brown, though with that I had wondered if it had been done to make it look more like the OSD though to subdue it is again more likely.
Old 20-09-13, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Jerry,
Two 1st War units are thought to have used the "C" spelling, the 11th & 16th i.e both the Cardiff battalions. The only ones to the 11th that I have seen were lugged and of one piece construction. I have no proof of use yet for the 16th but the CO was very keen on it and I have this in copy documents.
As far as I am aware only the 7th (another Cardiff unit) were authorised to wear blackened badges and I have only seen photos of them wearing these pre-war. As such I'm not sure they were worn in Theatre.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Diolch Kevin.

I had hoped you would notice this thread and add your opinion.

Jerry

Tags
welch