British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-16, 04:08 PM

Default WWI Observer O wing, named

About a decade ago, I was able to get this one item from an eBay lot. In subsequent conversations with the seller, the original owner's daughter, I was able to get the history below. It's always nice to have provenance behind any item and because of that, I consider this one of the finest items in my collection. The extremely fine thread and wire bullion outer ring around the "O" help to confirm the WWI issue date.
~~~
RFC/RAF Pilot, G/C. H.N. Hampton

Herbert Nind Hampton was born in 1898 at Hoddesden in Hertfordshire. He was ‘called up’ into the Royal Flying Corps, in 1916, for the First World War at the age of 17, as a Lance Corporal. There were a mixture of recruits from various Army units and civilians from UK, Australia and Canada (photo). In early 1917 he was made a 2nd. Lieutenant and trained as a pilot, on No. 12 squadron, based in Thetford, Norfolk. He learned to fly in a ‘Maurice Farman “Shorthorn”. Then to 53 squadron flying BE2E (Bleriot experimental) and got his wings after 30 hours of flying. Then to 76 squadron. After 117 hours flying he was posted to France to 58 squadron for night operations. He was awarded the DFC. In 1919 the RFC became the RAF and he got a short term commission as a Flying officer. He was one of 6 pilots to fly Vickers Vimy’s to Cairo. He was also an excellent hockey and tennis player and played for the RAF. In 1920 and 21 he was on 216 squadron and was the sports officer! He was given a regular commission in December 1920.

And so the story goes on!! - In the Second World War he was made an Acting Air Vice Marshall and was serving in Malta. At the end of the war he missed the cut off date by a few days and spent the rest of his service career as a Group Captain. He died in January 1978.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If any reader has his RFC wing, which was also part of the original lot and might consider parting with it, do drop me a line!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hampton WWI O wing.jpg (62.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Hampton WWI O wing back.jpg (78.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg close-up.jpg (99.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 18-02-16, 06:18 PM

very nice