British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-16, 01:15 PM

Thanks Dave,
As a matter of interest, this is a better picture of the badge in question.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 02-01-16, 02:01 PM

A top, top quality item, very nice!

Dave.
Old 02-01-16, 02:11 PM
Banned

My example, also with an 'S'. These badges were introduced in the spring of 1944 (April if memory serves) due to the lack of available bullion. I have the regs somewhere.

As for Royal Warrant, I've seen a fair number of them simply with 'By Appointment', although the crest is clear to whom, in this case King George VI. Maybe there was an exception during the war for sample or proof items, or other?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-01-02 13.47.12.jpg (88.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-01-02 13.46.33.jpg (57.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-01-16, 02:25 PM

Thanks SAS,

Appears identical to mine.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 02-01-16, 03:36 PM

Bullion goes "tatty" and shabby looking very quickly. I for one would much rather wear the examples shown rather than the (more expensive?) bullion version.

Dave.
Old 02-01-16, 04:38 PM

Peter,

I have this economy Royal Navy badge with the same back mark as yours. No label though.

For what it is worth, I am pretty sure it is legitimate.

It is interesting that the examples shown in this thread so far are rather "mint".

Andy

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 07:12 PM
Banned

The reason they are quite minty is that they generally have a gilt wash finish which wears well.

As for bullion, pre WW2 and WW2 RAF dress regs have a section on the correct method of caring for, cleaning and storing bullion items for longevity. It doesn't tarnish much at all if it's cared for. A few years ago I was given the uniform of Air Commodore Noel Paynter, Chief Intelligence Officer at Bomber Command during the war. He had retired in 1945 but wore the uniform on occasion, packing it away afterwards. His peaked cap with oak leaves on the peak is very good as a result and is now 71 years old. He last wore it I think in the 90s and then replaced it in a paper bag and sealed it, it still being sealed when given to me.
Old 02-01-16, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
The reason they are quite minty is that they generally have a gilt wash finish which wears well
I wasn't actually referring to the metal, but the material backing. I have several of these Royal Navy economy badges, Officer, CPO, and PO. all in varying conditions. Apart from general tarnishing to the metal part (salt water can be very harsh!), it is the cloth that suffers most.

Out of interest, I also have Queen's crown metal PO and CPO cap badges. I believe that they are Royal Australian Navy.

Anyway, I digress. This is about a Royal Air Force badge.
Old 02-01-16, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
The reason they are quite minty is that they generally have a gilt wash finish which wears well.

As for bullion, pre WW2 and WW2 RAF dress regs have a section on the correct method of caring for, cleaning and storing bullion items for longevity. It doesn't tarnish much at all if it's cared for. A few years ago I was given the uniform of Air Commodore Noel Paynter, Chief Intelligence Officer at Bomber Command during the war. He had retired in 1945 but wore the uniform on occasion, packing it away afterwards. His peaked cap with oak leaves on the peak is very good as a result and is now 71 years old. He last wore it I think in the 90s and then replaced it in a paper bag and sealed it, it still being sealed when given to me.
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the Duke of Edinburgh's RN uniform looks very jaded. The gold lace on his tunic cuffs etc. looks very dull and worn as indeed does his cap. He obviously has more than one cap, one of which has a KC cap badge on it. I wonder if it was his "original" badge which he has transferred onto another cap. His worn braid is more evident when he stands alongside Prince Andrew when both are wearing RN uniform.

Dave.
Old 03-01-16, 12:36 AM
Banned

Whenever I get a cloth badge I normally go over it with a brush of some sort which usually works wonders. It removes the dust and dirt which in turn can be home to mites.
Old 03-01-16, 08:59 AM

Default RAF Officer's WW2 Economy Cap Badge by Gaunt

I have an example of this badge which I purchased in 2004. It is not in the same pristine condition as Peter's example and definitely looks as though it has been well used and removed from uniform. It still has the 'S' label on the reverse. Maybe this supports the view that they are genuine badges and, in the middle of WW2, J R Gaunt & Co did not abide by the exact rules for referring to Royal Warrants when they made this badge.

John Murdoch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF Gaunt Obv.jpg (110.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg RAF Gaunt Rev.jpg (88.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-01-16, 09:18 AM

I think, given the content of John's post, that any doubt I might have had about these badges, had now been fully resolved, I suspect somebody has merely found a box containing a few mint specimens, there do seem to be a number around at the moment.
Old 03-01-16, 09:29 AM

An example from my own collection, although unworn, it certainly does show it's age.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020921.jpg (62.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P1020922.jpg (53.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-01-16, 09:52 AM
Banned

I see this one has an 'M' on the reverse. I noted earlier that I'd seen them with different letters and leant more to the thought that the letter related to an inspector or machinist rather than the 'S' being for 'sample'.
Old 09-01-16, 02:01 PM

I don't know what the single letters signify. But I MUST say....nice badges! I love the economy versions. You see more Navy then Airforce ones so thanks for sharing all!