British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-16, 11:07 AM

Default Grouping

Frank I think if you read my original post I used the word as grouping (various items coming together in 1 group - fair use of the word group I think?)
At the time I assumed they were original, BUT, I did put in the original post that i was unsure of the owner, due to the RAF cap badge in the picture.
So no reference has been made suggesting 100% that this was an original grouping, and that is why I put the pieces up here to gain the experience from you members more knowledgeable in this field.
regards
Jon
Old 11-03-16, 05:13 PM
Banned

Frank

In 1944 the ATA did recruit pilots direct from the WAAF for the first time, as by then they had their own training establishments and syllabus, whereas prior to that they recruited only qualified pilots, both male and female.
Old 11-03-16, 08:52 PM

Hello Jon,
Okay, please forgive me being rather presumptive, my own thoughts are simply that if buying any WW2 group, you must get as much supporting documentation as possible, without it, you are left only with the basic value of each item within the group, as here, but, only as long as the same are original, of course.
Kind regards Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON188 View Post
Frank I think if you read my original post I used the word as grouping (various items coming together in 1 group - fair use of the word group I think?)
At the time I assumed they were original, BUT, I did put in the original post that i was unsure of the owner, due to the RAF cap badge in the picture.
So no reference has been made suggesting 100% that this was an original grouping, and that is why I put the pieces up here to gain the experience from you members more knowledgeable in this field.
regards
Jon
Old 11-03-16, 09:19 PM

Nothing concrete, mate. Its just a general bird design i have seen used in a lot of modern badges. I am in no position to judge authenticity, just making the observation.
Old 21-04-16, 08:38 AM
Banned

I saw that you put the group up on ebay. Not sure how much you got for it but they are now up for a pretty penny on the Mons Militaria site - wings and cap badge alone at over £700.00!!!

And they're still repro!

http://www.monsmilitaryantiques.co.uk/shop.php
Old 21-04-16, 10:23 AM

I've left messages with him Alex to inform him.
What can one do?
Old 21-04-16, 02:40 PM
Banned

That's the best you can do Jon.

There was another on the other day on a dealers site at £200 or so. I pointed out it was one of 'Warhats' aged ones you can buy on ebay at £18.00. He said he'd got it from an auction house so long ago he'd not be able to do anything about it. But they've only been appearing on ebay a few weeks...
Old 22-04-16, 07:10 AM

I find this sort of thing, really awful underhand behaviour, but, I suppose, the idiots that actually make them in the first place must bare the most responsibility!
Old 22-04-16, 03:11 PM

To be fair to Richard at Mons he has removed the items from his site and put a note on his mesage board to that effect. I have known Richard for over 30 years and I can vouch that he would never knowingly sell a reproduction unless it was listed as such.

regards

Mark
Old 22-04-16, 04:39 PM

Richard returned my call and I managed to provide the pictures of the stuff I had.
He had bought them from a reliable source of his too.
So all in all he asked very professionally.
It's nice to see as some dealers would not have returned my call with a view to clarifying.
My opinion is that actually they were NOT 100% guaranteed to be the same , but he pulled them anyway.
Regards
Jon