British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-07-17, 09:28 PM

Default Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) 'busby'

Greetings.

Is anyone able to tell me anything about Scottish Rifles buglers wearing a 1890-style Rifle 'busby'.

(I am dubious)

JF
Old 21-07-17, 09:56 PM

What does an 1890 style busby look like?
Phil.
Old 21-07-17, 09:58 PM

I may have a picture of a Cameronians bandsman wearing one.
Phil.
Old 21-07-17, 10:03 PM

I have a picture of a Bugle - Major wearing what I think is a rifle busby.
Phil.
Old 22-07-17, 05:20 AM

Phil- greetings.

The Rifles cap or 'busby', 2nd version, was introduced circa 1890 to replace a 'hideous black' version of the HS helmet (very dark green?) ordered for all Rifle regts in 1881. It took the form of a soft animal skin cap with the crown creased fore and aft, higher in the front sloping backwards to conform with the back of the head. It was made of Astrakhan lambskin for officers and sealskin for ORs.

The Cameronians (SR) replaced the unpopular helmet with the Rifle green shako unique to them a couple of years later, circa 1892 (IIRC). I have only ever seen images of The Cameronians (SR) in either the Glengarry forage cap or the shako. So I was confused to see reference to a Rifles cap attributed to a bugler 'Sco. Rifles'

The photo you have is to a Bugle Major, you say. Is the battalion is identified?
Old 22-07-17, 08:23 AM

Yes, it is The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) my images are from the book, The History of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) by John Baynes. I would be breaching copyright if I uploaded the images, so I will try to describe them.
The first photo shows the Scottish Rifles Pipe Band marching, the (Drum Major???) is wearing head wear as you described, with a tall hackle on the front, and a bugle badge on front.

The second photo is a photo of uniforms of the regiment through the years, in the photo, the (I would call him a Drum Major) but the caption calls him Bugle - Major in No1 Dress. He is the same man wearing the same cap.

Phil.
Old 22-07-17, 08:39 AM

Don't reckon these images are copy right. The head wear in my photos is the same as these.
Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3b5f187f2D140f2D411a2Daa342D8b27efc0049b103111.jpg (32.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 83f0f477d8bac2555eaed70e81ee88ee.jpg (50.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg riflebusby.jpg (25.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 22-07-17, 08:43 AM

I think the question re. Identification of battalion meant that, battalion rather than regiment?
The battalions favoured different names, the 1st Cameronians, the 2nd Scottish Rifles, this assertion of identity may have included the adoption of different headgear by the battalions?
Old 22-07-17, 08:56 AM

Indeed, Leigh that was my drift. The 2nd Battalion (i.e. Scottish Rifles) might have been more likely to adopt the Rifles cap for their buglers.

Thank you Phil, the black plume would seem to confirm the regimental identity in those photos

That would lead to the second assumption that, hitherto, I have only seen pictures of 1st Battalion buglers wearing shakos.
Old 22-07-17, 09:19 AM

Cameronians headgear - a flimsy excuse to link to this thread:

http://gmic.co.uk/topic/42443-a-came...wardian-india/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-2272-126642652886.jpg (21.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg post-2272-126642654657.jpg (47.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 22-07-17, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf42 View Post
Indeed, Leigh that was my drift. The 2nd Battalion (i.e. Scottish Rifles) might have been more likely to adopt the Rifles cap for their buglers.

Thank you Phil, the black plume would seem to confirm the regimental identity in those photos

That would lead to the second assumption that, hitherto, I have only seen pictures of 1st Battalion buglers wearing shakos.
Not sure if I'm getting this right, but I think the images were posted to confirm the style of headgear rather than specifically as being of a Cameronian example?
Apologies if I'm mistakenly telling people what they're not saying.
Old 22-07-17, 10:35 AM

Ah, well now, Leigh, I did wonder, as there was not a hint of Cameronian (Scottish Rifles) badging. Then I just went with the black 'plume'. I hadn't had my coffee.

No excuse needed for the link as far as I am concerned. I seem to remember there was a long thread on GMIC about the black plume/ hackle of the Cameronian (Scottish Rifles). When I have a moment I'll see if I can find it.

PS. I should add that the Rifles cap in question was posted on GMIC

Last edited by jf42; 22-07-17 at 11:04 AM.