British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-07-17, 07:26 AM

Default Weekend pick up: SWB Officers Plated Badge

Hi Guys,

Opening line is: This will probably be up for Sale/Swap etc. at some point (within the forum). So if you don't wish to help because of that, that's totally fine, I just thought I'd be upfront about it

I found this yesterday morning, I thought it was a good badge and snapped it up, I have had it confirmed on the FB group that it is a plated officers/SNCOs example. Marked J.R.Gaunt (London). I thought P was plated, but as it's not my general area, I wasn't sure. I know the guy I got it off, deals in second hand jewellery and so probably bought it in with some other stuff (his stall, despite his prices, is a bit like a jumble sale)

No idea of age, I'm guessing WW1? It's a nice strike, virtually mint almost. Any extra information is greatly received. Trying to remember who is the big SWB collector here.

Oh and a caveat; photo colour has been tweaked to see the mark on the back.

Best,
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7582.jpg (88.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7583.jpg (82.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 17-07-17, 07:42 AM

It would appear to be a collar badge rather than a cap badge and very nice it is too.
Old 17-07-17, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
It would appear to be a collar badge rather than a cap badge and very nice it is too.
It's an inch and a half ish to just under 2"... I can measure better later on, but I hadn't considered a collar. Thanks.

T
Old 17-07-17, 01:49 PM

It's the wrong pattern for a SWB officer's collar. The silver cap badges come in different sizes and I am sure a SWB collector will tell you what it was to be worn on.I thought I had read somewhere that the use of P for plated by Gaunt was an indication of 2nd WW period but that will need to be checked up.
Old 17-07-17, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
It's the wrong pattern for a SWB officer's collar. The silver cap badges come in different sizes and I am sure a SWB collector will tell you what it was to be worn on.I thought I had read somewhere that the use of P for plated by Gaunt was an indication of 2nd WW period but that will need to be checked up.
Thanks 41st This isn't my area so I'm trying to feel my way as I go.

Thanks for the thoughts on the P being ww2.
Old 17-07-17, 06:43 PM

I have one the same, same markings etc and size, C. WWII officers cap badge.

Very nice badges.

Shown with the osd to show the size. As 41st stated, the collars except for one unusual type shown in Churchill are not of this design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SWB osd and silver plate.jpg (46.1 KB, 21 views)

Jerry
Old 17-07-17, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
I have one the same, same markings etc and size, C. WWII officers cap badge.

Very nice badges.

Shown with the osd to show the size. As 41st stated, the collars except for one unusual type shown in Churchill are not of this design.
Thanks Jerry.
Old 17-07-17, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Thanks Jerry.
Always happy to help or otherwise contribute if I can.

I think this type is probably for the Coloured field service cap. I only have an OR's example so cannot confirm this. The plastic wartime badge is bigger than the osd which was for the beret or GS cap or universal FSC.

If you do decide to move it on, message me as I might be interested in adding a second example to my collection.

The plastic is at the bottom next to the silver plated and others show the variation in size. also shown the unusual collar badges shown in Churchill. I noticed a paitr of these for sale recently on a dealers site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swb comparison.jpg (69.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg SWB fs cap 1.jpg (45.6 KB, 14 views)

Jerry
Old 18-07-17, 07:14 AM

Jerry, PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Always happy to help or otherwise contribute if I can.

I think this type is probably for the Coloured field service cap. I only have an OR's example so cannot confirm this. The plastic wartime badge is bigger than the osd which was for the beret or GS cap or universal FSC.

If you do decide to move it on, message me as I might be interested in adding a second example to my collection.

The plastic is at the bottom next to the silver plated and others show the variation in size. also shown the unusual collar badges shown in Churchill. I noticed a paitr of these for sale recently on a dealers site.
Old 19-07-17, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Now, I am confused as I thought that the surest sign that an officer's badge was worn on the cap was that it had prongs rather than lugs. Clearly this is not a hard and fast rule. 50 years collecting and I am still learning.
Old 19-07-17, 08:18 AM

Having borrowed an old Gaunt Trade Catalogue recently there was a small section which offered various fixings available, different type of lugs size, shape etc.
The badge itself looks like it was for a Coloured FSC as Jerry has suggested.
A Commercial Military Tailor most likely provided the badge from a supplier like Gaunt with an FSC for an order by an Officer of the SWB with the lugs present being the most appropriate for the cap.
Paul
Old 19-07-17, 09:23 AM

I would say that the vast majority of officer's cap badges that I have to the RWF, SWB and Welsh regiments, when in silver or silver and gilt, are provided with lugs rather than blades. I do have one or two SWB, Brecknockshire & RWF silver or silver and gilt that have blades but by and large they are provided with lugs. They are all definitely cap badges as The Welsh did not wear s&g collars of the same pattern as the cap badge (although they did with bronzed OSD) and the RWF, SWB and Brecknock officers wore a different style of collar badge to the cap badge.

Last edited by 41st; 19-07-17 at 09:48 AM.