British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-12-16, 04:50 AM

Default Identify ww1 uniform

Hello all,
I know the attached image is not the greatest, but it's all I've got. As a novice I'm trying to find out as much as possible about this image – uniform, weapon, regiment etc. His name is Harry William McCleland and he signed up for the Great War. The photo was taken in Port Elizabeth.
Any help much appreciated,
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harry-William-McCleland-during-WW1.jpg (32.3 KB, 117 views)
Old 06-12-16, 04:48 PM

Hi Tony,
I have had a quick look on Ancestry there is no name spelt 'McCleland' on the WW1 MIC (Medal Index Cards) but there are a few 'McClelland' there is a Harry but no middle name provided on MIC or the service records which are available also on note of him being any where other than France and Flanders, some more details would be helpful, were did he come from, is he British or Commonwealth soldier, weapon looks like the standard Lee-Enfield of the period, he is wearing box spurs and a foreign service helmet also jodhpurs indicating could be a driver, leaning towards RHA of RFA as a thought, other than that more personal details are required to research him as an individual.
Cheers
Hiram
Old 06-12-16, 05:04 PM

Hello Tony,

The rifle is almost certainly a Lee-Metford.

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 06-12-16, 07:58 PM

Looks to be dessed in a shirt with breast pockets. That would make him a warrant officer or officer if he was in the British Army-not sure with SA forces. Regards, Paul.
Old 07-12-16, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderer View Post
Hi Tony,
I have had a quick look on Ancestry there is no name spelt 'McCleland' on the WW1 MIC (Medal Index Cards) but there are a few 'McClelland' there is a Harry but no middle name provided on MIC or the service records which are available also on note of him being any where other than France and Flanders, some more details would be helpful, were did he come from, is he British or Commonwealth soldier, weapon looks like the standard Lee-Enfield of the period, he is wearing box spurs and a foreign service helmet also jodhpurs indicating could be a driver, leaning towards RHA of RFA as a thought, other than that more personal details are required to research him as an individual.
Cheers
Hiram
Thanks Hiram,
It's a very common spelling anomaly for the name to spelt with 3 l's.
He was South African born November 19, 1867 in the Port Elizabeth District, South Africa and was (most probably) a Commonwealth soldier.
Unfortunately that is about the sum total of my information currently.
Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by Tony B; 07-12-16 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-01-17, 09:56 AM

Could be almost any unit in South Africa at the time. Most SA troops wore khaki shirts not greybacks in Africa.The Union Defence Force wore a variety of uniforms (including shirts) in WW1...They had only been established in 1913 and in addition the supply situation was dire. I've seen wartime documents in the archives indicating stocks of Khaki clothing of any description were being sought as many men were being trained in civilian dress due to a shortage of uniform fabric etc.