British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-09, 10:01 AM

Default 4DG Shabraque

David

Thanks for that.

If the die was sold then badges could turn up in many different metal versions.

Mine is the only white metal version I have seen.

Has anyone else got a white metal version??

Regards

Bob.
Old 27-11-09, 10:18 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybershot View Post
David

Thanks for that.

If the die was sold then badges could turn up in many different metal versions.

Mine is the only white metal version I have seen.

Has anyone else got a white metal version??

Regards

Bob.
Bob, No, I don't have one, but on the face of it, it sounds like anything other than brass or gilt then its a repro. Any sign of gilt on yours?
I would be interested in seeing the lugs that are fitted to yours. Can you
post a closeup of one - in the same way that I have?
Tks, david
Old 27-11-09, 12:12 PM

Default 4DG Shabraque

David

Attached rear view of my badge.

Sorry the scan is poor.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 27-11-09, 12:43 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybershot View Post
David

Attached rear view of my badge.

Sorry the scan is poor.

Bob.
Bob,
Thanks.
At least the lugs don't have the proverbial 'feet' on them and they do seem to be nicely brazed. On mine, apart from the re-soldered lug, the lugs do seem to be growing out of the badge.
Although I am sure the fakers will learn how to do this over time.
I did notice in the IG article that they mention a WM pipers one... So there
is hope...
I am still unsure about the significance of the 2 v 4 lug versions.
It was nice of the company to sell the die wasn't it... Good job they didn't do this in the stamp collecting area....otherwise that would have killed that off as well. I will try and get into the cavalry museum and see what I can find out - I'll take mine along and see what they say.
david
Old 27-11-09, 02:46 PM

Default 4DG Shabraque

David

Thanks for the info.

Thanks also to everyone who contributed.

I've learnt a lot in the last 24 hours.

Bob.
Old 11-08-10, 11:52 AM

Location: I live in New Brighton on the Wirral, in the north West of England.
Smile

Sorry to revive this post after so long (I'm still working my way through the site).

Searching this morning (11 Aug 10) there are five off these on sale for, respectivly 3.30 4.99 8.99 11.99 and 35.0 for the "4th RIDG Sabertache"!

I have had one of these for years and thought it was an IG pagri badge till I noticed the missing crowns.

It is still a probable fake. But at least now (thanks to John Mulcahey and others) I know what its a fake off.
Old 11-08-10, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john badge View Post
Sorry to revive this post after so long (I'm still working my way through the site).

Searching this morning (11 Aug 10) there are five off these on sale for, respectivly 3.30 4.99 8.99 11.99 and 35.0 for the "4th RIDG Sabertache"!

I have had one of these for years and thought it was an IG pagri badge till I noticed the missing crowns.

It is still a probable fake. But at least now (thanks to John Mulcahey and others) I know what its a fake off.
I recently managed to purchase (from the sale at Bonhams in Oxford - Alan Barauskas items) a 4RIDG undress pouch bag with a badge that looks remarkably like this one. No, I don't have it or the 6ID one yet as its at my daughters UK address.
I will post it when I have it with dimensions etc. I will not be posting a picture of the back - assuming it comes off easily - in order to stop it being used by fakers etc. Its lot 28 if anyone is interested. I only have the picture from the web site - which of course is copyright. But at least this badge is from the mid 1800's.
Will post when I have it. david
Old 11-08-10, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I recently managed to purchase (from the sale at Bonhams in Oxford - Alan Barauskas items) a 4RIDG undress pouch bag with a badge that looks remarkably like this one. No, I don't have it or the 6ID one yet as its at my daughters UK address.
I will post it when I have it with dimensions etc. I will not be posting a picture of the back - assuming it comes off easily - in order to stop it being used by fakers etc. Its lot 28 if anyone is interested. I only have the picture from the web site - which of course is copyright. But at least this badge is from the mid 1800's.
Will post when I have it. david
Old 11-08-10, 02:01 PM

Quote:

John

The IG Foreign Service Helmet Badge is a very distinctive animal. Attached here is a link to one sold on Buywyze

http://www.buywyze.com/shop/viewphot...1015491&phqu=0

and here is one that David has in his album

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=18744

The Officers version is identical but the centre is pierced.

Both are rare items (in fact I only know of one Officers version).

Every body sells the fake Shabraque badge as Helmet Plate or a Pagri Badge. It is nothing of the sort.

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 11-08-10 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 12-08-10, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
John

The IG Foreign Service Helmet Badge is a very distinctive animal. Attached here is a link to one sold on Buywyze

http://www.buywyze.com/shop/viewphot...1015491&phqu=0

and here is one that David has in his album

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=18744

The Officers version is identical but the centre is pierced.

Both are rare items (in fact I only know of one Officers version).

Every body sells the fake Shabraque badge as Helmet Plate or a Pagri Badge. It is nothing of the sort.

John
John,
They are the same badge - I bought it. I was getting so annoyed with seeing (and sometimes buying them...) that I thought I would 'go serious' and get the Bosleys one. Its totally different when compared with the others that I had. Strangely, I seem to remember it being deascribed by them as a pagri badge, but felt that it wasn't - saying anything could have pushewd the price up..............? maybe?
Thanks for the info.
david
Old 12-08-10, 11:55 AM

Location: I live in New Brighton on the Wirral, in the north West of England.

Once again, thanks for the information John. And well done Dave for getting his hands on a genuine IG FSH badge.

The rest of us out here with our fake Shabraque badges, can take comfort in the thought that (a) there a plenty off us, and (b) They are cheap enough, and (c) ONE of us must have a genuine one.

Cheers
Old 12-08-10, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Once again, thanks for the information John. And well done Dave for getting his hands on a genuine IG FSH badge.

The rest of us out here with our fake Shabraque badges, can take comfort in the thought that (a) there a plenty off us, and (b) They are cheap enough, and (c) ONE of us must have a genuine one.

Cheers
John,
Thanks. In order to help interested fellow members (you know who you are...) - I am quite prepared to email out a hires picture of the back of this badge - I don't have it with me but I could do it in around 2..3 weeks.
If anyone is interested, pm me. You never know, as has been suggested, there might be another one 'lurking'......

david
Old 11-07-17, 11:53 PM

Any further information come to light on how to spot an original?