British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Other Corps

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-16, 12:32 AM

Default Photo 4th Div, Med TM Btys, WW1

An image of two soldiers of the 4th Div, Med TM Btys AIF, WW1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9230.jpg (31.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9230 - Copy.JPG (85.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9230 - Copy (2).jpg (21.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 29-03-16, 07:07 AM

Nice scotch, photos of these in wear don't come up often.

This shows up the error conclusions reached in the Official History and almost every colour patch chart published since, not to mention the Army Colour Patch Register, that the 'grenade' was an integral part of the trench mortar battery colour patch.

It was not, and never was intended to be, it was a skill at arms badge, worn on the recommendation of the battery commander, and only on the right arm, below the colour patch.

I think the officers of the 15th Aust Light TM Battery wore gold wire embroidered grenades on their colour patches on both arms but this was an exception not the rule.

Also the assertion in the ACPR that Mediterranean Expeditionary Force GRO 791 of 31 Jan 16 is the authority for the AIF to wear the badge is incorrect, the only authority for such badges was HQ AIF.

Apart from the ad hoc battery on Gallipoli the AIF did not form its TM btys until it got to France. While there was certainly an authority for this badge issued by HQ AIF in 1917 I haven't yet located one in 1916, or even evidence that it was worn this early.

Keith
Old 30-03-16, 03:01 AM

Thanks for the details Keith.

Sadly no date as far as I'm able to read on reverse, not named either. I've attached am image of the stamp on the reverse, never been able to find much detail on these but maybe someone out there can. I'm predicting it's a late war photo.

Cheers Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9233 - Copy.jpg (47.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9233.JPG (63.6 KB, 5 views)