British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-17, 08:15 PM

Default Naval Bombardment

A training film made, I think in either late 1945 or early 1946 entitled "Royal Navy at War - Naval Bombardment-Part 1" can be found at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2qIU5SH_s8

At approx. 3 mins 30 secs a Bombardment Liaison Officer can be seen at work - in BD with standard titles ROYAL ARTILLERY and RA AoS strips - and between the two, unusually, a square format Combined Operations sign. Forward to approx. 5 mins 50 secs - an Army Officer - possibly an Air Liaison Officer or Carrier Borne Ground Liaison Officer (CBGLO colloquially known to the RN as Seaballs) wearing on one arm a small patch which might be the white letter A on a navy blue or black square - A for Air? I'll now continue watching the film - Seafires in action in the spotting role come up next. Mike
Old 21-04-17, 09:32 AM

Mike,

Fascinating film but what a palaver to engage one target.

The Gunner officer is indeed wearing an A as this extract from my book records.

The Carrier-Borne Ground Liaison Group (CBGL) was a survivor of wartime Combined Operations. First formed for North Africa in 1943, Carrier-Borne Air Liaison Sections helped Naval Air Squadrons recognise military equipment and assisted in briefing pilots providing air cover or carrying out ground attacks. Renamed CBGLs, over sixty sections existed at the end of the war. Much reduced in number, small post-war teams of Royal Marine and Army forward air control officers, supported by RASC drivers and clerks continued serving with the ship’s company of aircraft carriers.

In August 1951 the Carrier-Borne Ground Liaison Group’s HQ Section at RNAS Culdrose asked Southern Command to approve a formation badge as ‘it was customary in the past for this organization to wear the letter ‘A’ in gold on a navy blue background’. The request was turned down as too expensive after it was pointed out that the Culdrose Section comprised one officer and 12 ORs and only 32 all ranks served with the Group in the UK.

Although no record has been found of its approval 20 soldiers serving at sea with a CBGL section in 1955 were pictured in Soldier Magazine that February wearing the ‘A’ on the left arm under their arm title. Interestingly the officer in the film is wearing the A on his right arm.

Jon
Old 21-04-17, 01:02 PM

Jon,
Many thanks. Did you not think that the square format Combined Operations sign was very unusual? This format became commonplace from the early 1990s onwards (initially I think with the (Joint Service) Permanent Planning Group - initially based in Aldershot and later co-located with HQ UKLF in Erskine Barracks, Wilton. This (PPG) was the "acorn" from which the "mighty oak" of Northwood-based PJHQ grew. Mike
Old 22-04-17, 09:21 AM

Very interesting procedure - thanks for sharing the clip. Not as quick as close quarter British Naval Gunnery in the previous Century though ;-)

I have a square Combined Ops badge I have been unable to date - any thoughts would be welcome. Good quality item, unusual construction.

Mike
Old 22-04-17, 09:46 AM

I have several contemporary sightings of square Combined Ops badges being worn recorded by a careful wartime researcher.

He noted it worn by 12 Cdo in November 1942, 10 Cdo in Sept 1943, 41 RM Cdo in Oct 1944 and with the Commando D title on an undated occasion.

The records do also record round examples so would appear to be accurate.

Jon
Old 22-04-17, 06:11 PM

Thanks Jon - great information.
Do you have any thoughts on the unusual material in the example I posted?
I am struggling to date it.
All the best
Mike
Old 25-04-17, 01:27 PM

For information - this is the variant of the square format Combined Operations sign as worn by members of the UK Permanent Planning Group (PPG) in c1992. Mike
Combined Operations_PPG_c1992.jpg
Old 25-04-17, 01:55 PM

Mike - thanks - very useful to see
Mike