British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-03-17, 09:30 PM

Default "Canadian Militia" button?

I have not been able to locate any references or information about this Victorian pewter button. The maker is "Nutting, London". I'm guessing it just pre-dates the more common "Canada Militia" button but I'm finding nothing titled "Canadian Militia".

Any information or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013c.jpg (26.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 17-03-17, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum MWP. Your account is active and open for posts.
Do you have the Smylie Canadian button reference?
Old 18-03-17, 03:00 AM

Thank you for the welcome Bill A. I do not have the Smylie reference book.

I think this pewter button predates the period that book covers as the manufacturer of the button "Nutting, London" seems to have done business from 1800 through 1865.
Old 18-03-17, 08:56 AM

Hello MWP

Eric Smylie's book on "Buttons of the Canadian Militia" covers the period 1900-1990 and your button is obviously much earlier than 1900.

The only reference I have to early Canadian Militia buttons is a two-part article by Rene Chartrand that appeared in "Button Lines", the Journal of the British Button Society.

Your button is not in that article, the nearest design being that for the "Upper Canada Militia" - crown over 'VR' with 'Upper Canada Militia' around the lower rim - also pewter by 'Nutting London' and given a date of 1840-1841.

Also illustrated is an earlier, very different design of 'Canadian Militia' button with a 'GR' cypher dating to about the 1800s-1820s. This is described as "one of the general pattern buttons which could be used by almost any unit".

Given this information I would suggest that you have a general pattern button that was in use in the early 1840s.

Regards
Roger
Old 18-03-17, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Roger. There is very little documentation or research available on the buttons and badges of the pre-Confederation Canada colonies. The Upper and Lower Canada colonies became the Province of Canada in 1841, which would correlate with the button. This colony existed until Confederation in 1867.
Old 18-03-17, 12:46 PM

Hi MWP,

You may like to look up in a library "Victoria's Canadian Militia - Uniforms, Flags and Equipment of the Canadian Militia, 1837-1901" by Rene Chartrand, although Roger has given you the nearest data to your query. But you may find something 'between the lines' by thoroughly perusing this volume. It has a good illustrated appendix on Canadian Militia Buttons.
GTB
Old 19-03-17, 12:42 AM

Thank you for the suggests gentlemen. I will see if I can locate a copy of Chartrand's book, and if I do find any more info I will post it here.

MWP
Old 19-03-17, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

The book is available through Service Publications. http://servicepub.com/