British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-17, 07:31 PM

Default Durban LI.

Hello all, I'm hoping an expert on SA badges can help me out. I have always been under the impression that up until about 1920 the Durban LI wore the same pattern cap badge as the Durham LI, would that be correct?. Any help would be much appreciated and would settle a friendly difference of opinion!!. Hoot.
Old 28-04-17, 04:42 AM

Hi Hoot

See here:
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...light+infantry

Brian
Old 28-04-17, 04:44 AM

Hoot

Note the Durham LI version had a slider, the Durban LI not.

Brian
Old 28-04-17, 08:53 AM

Brian, thank you very much for your help. Do you know exactly when the Durham pattern was replaced by the pattern with shield and motto?. On the subject of lugs and sliders that you mentioned, both the QVC and the early KC Durham badges had lugs. By the way, your help has won me a litre of "The Famous Grouse" so thanks once again!!.
Old 08-05-17, 10:15 AM

On Saturday I was given this little group of DLI insignia and , if Colin Owens book is accurate regarding dates worn, the white metal titles are dated 1897-1920, the cap badge is dated 1902-1913 and the white metal collar badges are dated 1895-1913. The cap badge has lugs and so , taken together , the group of insignia was worn from 1902-1913. The badges came from an original source and until now have lain in a drawer , no doubt from the time they were handed on from the original wearer to his now quite elderly son.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dli.jpg (33.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-05-17, 09:40 AM

That's a very nice set, thanks for showing them. I now assume that the badge with shield and motto came into use at some point between 1913 and 1920. I tend to view dates given in most militaria publications with caution these days.