British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-17, 12:03 PM

Default Replies/views

Hello Troops
While I am very greatful to members who take the time to reply to a question on this forum, if you check the views [321], in my last thread, I had only two replies. It is the same on all the threads. while I am very pleased that I received some feed back, know one really answered my question. I know we have lost some very knowledgeable members, but I thought some members would have been more helpful.
Regards Terry
Old 27-04-17, 12:25 PM

Terry,

I think it is often the case that members will open a thread with the intention of offering a reply, only to realise that they are not perhaps able to.

Also, members will obviously open/read posts in order to increase their knowledge rather than submit a response. Threads frequently have tantalising titles, and this can be a hook (deliberate or otherwise) which piques interest.

How many times do we see second posts by thread-creators saying something to the effect of:

'X number of views and no replies'?

I am always grateful to those members who respond to threads (well, most of the time ), but I am equally grateful to those 'unknown' members who may open a thread in the hope of assisting, only to discover that they don't have the answer after all. I suppose it comes with the turf.

Regards,

JT
Old 27-04-17, 01:17 PM

This is a common occurence on many forums these days and is frustrating, but is probably better than being trolled.

It's no consolation if you wanted some opinions. I sometimes think.that to some what seems like an obvious question that could be easily researched is not worthy of a response.

The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

Jerry

Last edited by JerryBB; 03-05-17 at 04:15 PM. Reason: must stop replying on phone
Old 27-04-17, 02:34 PM

I look at every post, many of which I subsequently find are not something I collect or know about and move on.

Personally speaking I only reply when I know the answer.

I am sure others do the same, hence the numerous views.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 27-04-17, 04:10 PM

As Simon and Jerry have said, some questions aren't worth a response as a little bit of research on behalf of the poser would have answered them. Part of the fun of collecting is researching what you've got, IMO. Only when you draw a blank should you ask others. That's what I try to do. Members don't always want to venture an opinion unless they're pretty sure they're right, otherwise you're shot down in flames PDQ, but sometimes even a half answer can point someone in the right direction.

David
Old 27-04-17, 04:58 PM

Hello Terry

I am sure it is not personal! I am somewhat like Simon in that I read most posts because I find them interesting but I only reply if I can add something useful to the debate - which is not often when it comes to badges I must admit.

When I have asked queries about buttons I get a few responses (usually the same people - thank you, you know who you are!) but far more 'views'. I just accept that few people have any information they can offer (or are willing to offer).

I have to say that having spoken to a few other Forum members it does seem that some are getting more and more reluctant to answer queries because of the frequency with which the item under discussion ends up being offered for sale on ebay - fine if that intent is declared up front but a bit underhand otherwise.

I am sure this doesn't apply to your queries but it might explain a general reluctance to answer some queries especially if members think the Forum is being abused by a constant flow of information one way only!

Don't give up asking questions because it is surprising how much you can learn from just seeing what other people have!

Roger
Old 27-04-17, 11:57 PM

Many thanks lads for your replys. I do not have an axe to grind, and I agree with all your responses.
Regards Terry