British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-07-16, 02:30 PM

Default SILLY ISLES INDEPENDENT COMPANY HG

What insignia did the SILLY ISLES INDEPENDENT COMPANY HOMEGUARDwear?
Old 03-07-16, 02:37 PM

No idea, but the peoples of the islands are very sensitive about incorrect nomenclature - Isles of Scilly or The Scillies are acceptable.
Old 03-07-16, 03:23 PM

Point taken - thank you for correcting me

Copied the title from a Homeguard Cornwall listing but I take your point
Old 05-07-16, 08:18 PM

Lord jeeeeeesus , This is what I adore about this forum , I cum home from my local swap meet rather loaded with the wrong end of two very decent bottles of red wine ( Chilean Malbec naturally ) to read this delightful thread .... if my son or work mate had asked me who occupied these isles in WW.2 I would have had no bloody idea , im stunned , clueless ... will be studying up every thing I can find over the next few days , thank you for getting my mojo flowing again .
Old 06-07-16, 05:41 PM

Bala,

I am sorry I cannot answer your question but I can see why you asked it.

This is from the "Structure of the Home Guard " site where I presume you saw the reference:

10th Cornwall (Truro) Bn
CO

11th Cornwall (Newquay) Bn
CO

12th Cornwall (Land's End) Bn Penzance
CO

13th Cornwall (Bodmin) Bn
CO

14th Cornwall (Hayle) Bn
CO

Isles of Scilly Independent Coy St. Mary's

A link to the site is here:

http://www.home-guard.org.uk/hg/struc.html

There is no mention( as far as I can see ) of the Isles of Scilly Independent Company in the Mills and Carney book on the Home Guard but I presume the reference on the Home Guard website came from somewhere.

This is the fascinating thing about our interest, there is always something new to be learnt, researched and sometimes dismissed.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-07-16, 12:45 PM

Default Source?

The Isles of Scilly Ind co is listed in the Order of Battle of units that existed when the HG was stood down in 1944. The OofB appears in 'Stand Down' by Len Whittaker - I'm not sure what his source was but he did use records at what was the Public Records Office. The CO of the Ind co is given as Maj H.T. Ward with the HQ in St Mary's.

Bit brief but just home for quick lunch.
Steve
Old 07-07-16, 01:47 PM

There is a series of books called "The Home Guard List 1941" I only have the one on Southern Command volume 5, but it gives the command structure of the Home Guard in 1941 which differs a bit from Stand Down.

Southern Command
Devon & Cornwall Division
Cornwall Zone
West Cornwall Group
7th Bn, 8th Bn, 9th Bn, 10th Bn, 11th Bn, 12th Bn Cornwall Home Guard and Independent Scilly Isles Company.

So it doesn't appear to have ever been incorporated into another battalion?

Rob
Old 04-09-16, 09:52 AM

There is no mention of the Isles of Scilly Independent Company in Military Insignia of Cornwall by Ivall and Thomas, which illustrates the badges worn by the 14 battalions of the Cornish Home Guard, as well as the Truro River Patrol. Unfortunately Professor Charles Thomas, co-author of the above and noted expert on Cornish militaria died earlier this year - he would have undoubtedly been able to answer this query.
Old 04-09-16, 01:27 PM

Ancientnav,

Just going off at a slight tangent, I wonder if you knew Charles Thomas, I never met him but we did correspond and in 2002 he gave me the notebook on The Kings Liverpool Regiment which had had started ( as a schoolboy ) on 12th October 1945. A very generous gift by a real gentleman.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3255.jpg (38.6 KB, 38 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-09-16, 04:39 PM

I knew Charles very well. He was a very knowledgeable man, and had an extensive collection of militaria, which I believe is now destined for various museums. He was very generous with his knowledge, and time, and was still writing articles on various aspects of badges etc until not long before his death. I went to his memorial service and it was absolutely packed. As well as the great and the good of the archaeological world, which was Charles's profession, one of the speakers was Kate Adie, the BBC's former chief war correspondent, a family friend.
Old 05-04-17, 07:39 PM
Banned

Hi Guys

I knew Charles through the Cornwall Military collectors society- a true gentleman with an amazing collection of badges. Every now and again he used to bring badges to show and tell and everyone was detailed and immaculate

Cheers

Perce