British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-01-14, 11:06 AM

Default Help with Rhodesian photo

Hi,
I was scrounging through my grandmothers box of photographas and came across a picture of a young woman in SD uniform. I must have seen this picture may times but simply passed it by. On closer inspection though she appeares to be wearing Southern Rhodesia Staff Corps beret badge and collar badges along with an unidentifiable pin above her left breast pocket.

Could someone clarify that this is indeed a member of the SRSC and what period this would be?

Regards
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0002.jpg (62.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 0001.jpg (27.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 05-02-14, 03:58 PM

The lady in the photo is wearing Rhodesian Staff Corps badges as per attached. They were worn in the early 1950s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rh Staff Corps cap badge KC small.jpg (66.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-02-14, 05:59 AM

Thanks Madziro,
Would the beret be a royal blue colour and do you have any thoughts on the badge she is wearing above her breast pocket? The picture i have is a very small snapshot, so I cannot make out any details even when scanning to a high resolution.

Steven
Old 06-02-14, 07:07 AM
Banned

Possibly a lion and tusk on top of the air force Bateleur eagle. Saw one for sale last week. Will find the photo again.
Old 06-02-14, 11:17 AM

The beret should be royal blue as it was issued as a general service beret for many units including the Staff Corps. Have attached a photo of an early one for interest.

The badge being worn above the pocket is difficult to identify. I thought that it may be as attached (without blue disc), but this is not a military badge per se. I believe it has to do with horse racing at Borrowdale Race Course in Salisbury. Perhaps that is where the photo was taken?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rhod Staff Corps beret SRG markings.jpg (58.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Rhodesian horse racing badge.jpg (41.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 31-03-17, 09:37 AM

The badge above the pocket almost looks like a 1950/51 SR Aux AF cap badge (lion and tusk over eagle). I know the British ATS wore badges above their pockets to show which Corps they were attached to. Possibly somehting simmilar or merely a sweetheart badge worn unofficially for a photo?