British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-12-20, 04:21 PM

Default Scots Guards - Officer's Forage Cap Stars or Collar Badges?

Hello All

I have a few Scots Guards officer's badges that are all approx 25mm wide & high. The modern one I know is a forage cap star as I got it through service sources but I am unsure whether the other 4 are collar badges or forage cap stars (or maybe even used for both). Can someone please tell me if there is a way of telling the difference between a forage cap star and a collar badge or where they both used for the same purpose.

Many thanks in advance.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Scots Guards Officer's Beret Badge (SP, Gilt & Enamel)(Small).jpg (70.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg The Scots Guards Officer's Beret Badge (SP, Gilt & Enamel)(Small)(Rear).jpg (41.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg The Scots Guards Officer's Forage Cap Badge (SP, Gilt & Enamel)(Small)(GL 1915).jpg (69.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg The Scots Guards Officer's Forage Cap Badge (SP, Gilt & Enamel)(Small)(GL 1915)(Rear).jpg (51.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg The Scots Guards Officer's Forage Cap Badge (SP, Gilt & Enamel)(Small)(Variation 1).jpg (75.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg The Scots Guards Officer's Forage Cap Badge (SP, Gilt & Enamel)(Small)(Variation 1)(Rear).jpg (47.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg The Scots Guards Officer's Forage Cap Badge (SP, Gilt & Enamel)(Small)(Variation).jpg (66.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg The Scots Guards Officer's Forage Cap Badge (SP, Gilt & Enamel)(Small)(Variation)(Rear).jpg (62.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg The Scots Guards Officer's Forage Cap Badge (SP, Gilt & Enamel)(Small).jpg (60.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg The Scots Guards Officer's Forage Cap Badge (SP, Gilt & Enamel)(Small)(Rear).jpg (43.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 26-12-20, 04:25 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think that the regiments of Foot Guards wear metal collar badges , so in my opinion I think that they are cap badges.

I'm sure someone will confirm this (or otherwise !)

PL
Old 26-12-20, 05:54 PM

Depending upon the size, they will be either forage cap or SD cap, the latter being very small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Hello All

I have a few Scots Guards officer's badges that are all approx 25mm wide & high. The modern one I know is a forage cap star as I got it through service sources but I am unsure whether the other 4 are collar badges or forage cap stars (or maybe even used for both). Can someone please tell me if there is a way of telling the difference between a forage cap star and a collar badge or where they both used for the same purpose.

Many thanks in advance.

Paddy
Old 26-12-20, 06:10 PM

They all look like officer’s small cap stars. There is a larger star which is 50mm x 50mm. The only collars worn by officers are in full and mess dress and these are embroidered.
Mark

Last edited by dubaiguy; 26-12-20 at 06:48 PM.
Old 26-12-20, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think that the regiments of Foot Guards wear metal collar badges , so in my opinion I think that they are cap badges.

I'm sure someone will confirm this (or otherwise !)

PL
There was a period, late 1800's where the Grenadier Guards did were collar badges. There is photographic evidence on the internet, to prove this. And of course the Irish Guards did early 1900's, but then onwards they were not worn.
Andy
Old 26-12-20, 08:36 PM

Dear All

Many thanks for all your comments. All of the stars shown are approx 25mm so I was expecting them to be forage cap stars so it sounds good so far. The thing that had me a bit confused is the section covering the Royal Scots collar badges in Churchill's Collar Badge History states that at one stage the Royal Scots also wore as collar badges the same badges worn by officers of the Scots Guards (Shown on page 18 & 19, Fig 10 & 15). Did he mean the Scots Guards also wore these as collar badges or does he mean the Royal Scots wore as collar badges the Scots Guards officer's forage cap stars. (Confused? I am).

Many thanks

Paddy
Old 26-12-20, 08:52 PM

From The Royal Scots website :

"The officers cap and collar badges date from 1931 when they replaced the patterns adopted in 1881 which were identical to the cap badge worn by officers of the Scots Guards. The 1931 change applied only to the Regular Battalions and the 7/9th (Highlanders) Battalion continue to wear the former (Scots Guards) pattern until their amalgamation with the 8th Battalion in 1961."

https://www.theroyalscots.co.uk/badges-and-tartan/

Don't know if this helps or just adds more confusion.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 26-12-20, 11:10 PM

Mike

Many thanks, I think that answers the question for me as it says Scots Guards cap badges were worn as collars.

Many thanks

Paddy
Old 27-12-20, 07:19 AM

Some really nice badges there, thanks for showing them. I've never seen the modern pattern like that before.
Cheers.