British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-12, 07:51 PM

Default Looking for photos

Hello everyone, hopefully you can give me some help. I'm looking for wartime photos of SAAF airmen/officers wearing the "Lettered" aircrew wings, both crowned and uncrowned. I found this photo, looking for more.
Old 25-09-12, 08:51 AM
Banned

Nice pic. I think I have only one, which has already appeared on here, but I have a number of the wings, and can photo them if its any use?
Old 25-09-12, 09:22 PM

Sure, Ièd love to see some SAAF aircrew wings. I have a few, but they are items not often seen
Old 26-09-12, 12:03 AM
Banned

No problem, I'll try and do it over the next few days. I dont have any crowned ones, but they are very distinct in style.
Old 26-09-12, 06:41 AM

Hi,
I will scan and post a picture of my great uncle that served as a radio operator in SAAF during WWII. I have his wings, badges and medals as well.

Will also scratch through my small collection of photographs and see if there are any other SAAF pics I have showing wings.

Regards
Steven
Old 26-09-12, 10:02 AM

Hi All
I have quite a few SAAF wings, but I don't think I've ever seen a crowned half-wing 'in the flesh'. I think they must be extremely rare.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 26-09-12, 04:14 PM

I have a few wings I can photograph and post, the pilot and generic aircrew, as well as two RO/M wings and an AG/LK. Still after the Photographer and Engineer in the series.
I'll get them photographed soon
Old 26-09-12, 06:29 PM

Hi Mike,
Here are the photos I have of SAAF aircrew showing wings.

1. My great uncle A/Sgt Victor Harper, SAAF
2. V. Harper wings as received from my aunt. Note the 'M' missing from the typical SAAF wing, but present in the photo.
3. A 'RO' friend of his (name unknown)
4. A 'AG' friend of his (Norman ?)
5. 2 pictures of Joe Impey with Navigator wings

Regards
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAAF_0002a.jpg (48.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_0002b.jpg (44.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_0002c.jpg (39.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_0002d.jpg (39.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_0003a.jpg (45.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_0003b.jpg (50.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 27-09-12, 02:55 AM

Beautiful pictures Steven! Thank you for sharing
Old 28-09-12, 12:05 AM

Here is my wing contribution....I also do not own any of the crowned wings, although I believe a friend of mine has one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0796.jpg (97.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 28-09-12, 12:06 AM

Discipline specific aircrew. I'm especially fond of the curved RO, it looks like the Canadian pattern aircrew wings. The Navigator wing has press studs as does my SAAF pilot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0797.jpg (97.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 28-09-12, 12:54 PM
Banned

Steven

Do you have a date of service for your Uncle, or more specifically a date for that photo? The reason I ask is that there has been for some years, some debate over the dual language wings being worn during the war, the general concensus being that they were brought in just after. The SAAF certainly used wings with a white wing and wreath and red lettering during the war, having previously worn RAF style (either exact or a distinct SAAF style close to the RAF one).

Mike, those wings look like ones I passed on a couple of years ago! The large RO because I have been led to believe it was post war.

I have an, 'Air Photographer', although it does seem, with evidence from Steven, that wings seem to have been altered by the wearer! The second RO above (top) clearly has had 'new' lettering added to an existing wing.

The dual language for yours Mike air 'Air Gunner/Lug Kannonier' and 'Radio Operator/Marconis'.
Old 28-09-12, 01:54 PM

Hi All
Here are some more variations.
I have also heard opinions that the dual language wings were post WWII, so it would be interesting to try and confirm this, either way.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nav WWII.jpg (39.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg FEB WWII.jpg (42.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg AG2.jpg (44.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 29-09-12, 05:22 AM

Hi SAS1,

Sorry I dont have an exact date for this picture. Victor joined the SAAF in 1940 and served in all the campaigns that South Africa served into write through to end of the war. I have his demob certificate dated 26/03/1946 and as the picture shows him still in SAAF uniform, I would say it predates 1946. After the war he joined United Airways but was killed in an aircrash in January 1951. The story can be found at this site.... Just search for 'Harper' to read the tragic event. http://www.saamuseum.co.za/digital-books.html

Regards
Steven
Old 29-09-12, 07:37 AM
Banned

Thanks Steven, that's a sad story.

SAAF half wings are a minefield, and even the SAAF museum have little info. I have always thought it a little strange the dual language half wings were thought post war as both titles and cap badges have dual language on them. It's a mystery why there are four distinct lettered types (RAF Style, either exact or SA made, similar but red lettering and white wreath, crowned, and dual language) or when each was worn. Did they overlap, or did one pattern officially supercede another?

I think its certain that different types were worn at the same time, and your photo Steven would suggest they were definately worn during the war, even if just near the end.

From my point of view its good and bad. I have got rid of several dual language wings in the past (identical to yours Mike), but it does give me another area to collect :-)