British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-11-13, 08:58 AM

I'm hoping one of these is suitable to represent the 2nd Battalion Devonshire Regiment in my collection, when the 50th Infantry Division was disbanded in November 1944 and they were transferred to the 7th Armoured Division.

They were in Northern Europe at the time so locally produced Brabant weave sort of makes sense, is that what I have here in the smaller badge?

And is this larger badge a German produced Bevo example?

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7th 1.jpg (64.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 7th 2.jpg (80.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-11-13, 09:20 AM

Hi Rob,

The left hand example is the version introduced circa 1948 the German Bevo weave type, the other is not a version I recognise, certainly it does not match the example I have that is said to be a Brabant version is shown below. Also showing the Bevo type which I did show previously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brabant rat 1944 montage.jpg (68.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 7th armd div patch post war type 1948 smaller montage.jpg (100.6 KB, 14 views)

Jerry

Last edited by JerryBB; 08-11-13 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 09:31 AM

Here's a Jerboa in context - worn by a National Service 2Lt in 1 RB, 7 Armd Bde. Late 1950s.
1 RB.02.jpg
Old 08-11-13, 11:51 AM

A couple of examples showing the destinct `Brabant `weave , I was told by a very experienced old time collector that it is possible to get examples made in this European weave to british formations that never left England ......?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C68.jpg (39.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg CLOTH BULL.jpg (102.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg CLOTH BULL BACK.jpg (101.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg C68 BACK.jpg (44.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-11-13, 02:23 PM
Banned

Here is my one which looks to be hand embroidered. It isn't in the best condition and I've had better ones but it came from the Green Jackets museum so has some relevance to the badges that it is displayed with.

Nice to see all the other examples shown and to have the different types explained.

Regards to all

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 21-11-13 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Here is my one which looks to be hand embroidered. It isn't in the best condition and I've had better ones but it came from the Green Jackets museum so has some relevance to the badges that it is displayed with.

Nice to see all the other examples shown and to have the different types explained.

Regards to all

Ry
Hi Ry,

That is the most common of the war time examples, first issued when the 7th returned to Britain in November 1943, machine embroidered. I have a few of this type including a pair originally sewn to a 46 pattern 1948 dated BD blouse, so they appear to have been used into the post war period.

Jerry
Old 08-11-13, 04:13 PM

What has never been satisfactorily explained is why the post late-1943 pattern signs are so unlike a jerboa? The early 7 Armd Div signs all were a pretty realistic portrayal of the little beast, as were the so-called jungle rat of 7 Armd Bde in Italy and black rat of 4 Armd Bde.
It is recorded somewhere that an old desert hand on returning to England and seeing the second pattern sign observed that it looked like a kangaroo with a begging bowl. I wonder who was responsible for the artwork that led to this sign?
7 Armd Div.09.jpg
Old 10-11-13, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
What has never been satisfactorily explained is why the post late-1943 pattern signs are so unlike a jerboa? The early 7 Armd Div signs all were a pretty realistic portrayal of the little beast, as were the so-called jungle rat of 7 Armd Bde in Italy and black rat of 4 Armd Bde.
It is recorded somewhere that an old desert hand on returning to England and seeing the second pattern sign observed that it looked like a kangaroo with a begging bowl. I wonder who was responsible for the artwork that led to this sign?
Attachment 94749
Hi Mike,

Often called the pregnant kangeroo, it is said that the design was produced and though the 7th did not like it the WD had had a lot of them manufactured and refused to withdraw them. Presumably designed by someone who had never seen a Jerboa.

the design on the exterior of this 1945 Xmas card looks rather different again, more like a rat than a Jerboa though that on the interior is more like the early design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr xmas card 1945 montage s.jpg (50.7 KB, 31 views)

Jerry
Old 11-11-13, 06:16 AM

Jerry,
Thanks. That sounds plausible. The 7 Armd Div of 1944/45 got its own back by painting a traditional jerboa on its vehicles. I have never seen an image of the later pattern cloth sign reproduced as a vehicle marking. Mike
Old 11-11-13, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Hi Ry,

That is the most common of the war time examples, first issued when the 7th returned to Britain in November 1943, machine embroidered. I have a few of this type including a pair originally sewn to a 46 pattern 1948 dated BD blouse, so they appear to have been used into the post war period.
Many thanks Jerry,

Machine embroidered it is. I'm glad to know that this type was also worn post war as it fits with the period of the GJ Trg Bde flash, if not quite so well with the printed title.

Regards

Ry
Old 11-11-13, 11:16 AM

Always glad to help when I can.

Does anyone know which tank units served with the 7th in the early post war period? I ask because the 1948 dated BD I mentioned previously has its original "rats" on it and you can see it had a tank badge on the arm, but the collars and S/T's have been removed and I would like to know what it might have had on it originally.

Thanks for any help.

Jerry
Old 11-11-13, 12:49 PM
Banned

Jerry,

Have a look here mate:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Z...igade%201948&f

Follow the list down from 7th Armoured Div to 7th Armoured Bde it will give you the Armoured units for 1948

Ry
Old 11-11-13, 01:11 PM

Hi Ry,

Thanks for that, perfect for what I wanted to know, much appreciated.

Jerry
Old 11-11-13, 01:17 PM

Probably of no interest what so ever but.........Bays 1951.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !05drag.jpg (51.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-11-13, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchley kid View Post
Probably of no interest what so ever but.........Bays 1951.
Very nice image, is that you?

Jerry

Tags
rat