British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-18, 11:00 PM
Banned

Default RAF Chindit

I know that amongst the Chindits there were a number of RAF radio operators. Can anyone confirm if the Chindit badge and/or title was worn by these men? Better still does anyone have or know of a photo of a RAF bod wearing the Chindit patch?

I seem to remember a lot at Bosleys a few years ago to one of these men and believe it included a Chindit patch.

Thanks
Old 01-02-18, 07:36 AM

This adds a bit of background. Mike

https://www.burmastar.org.uk/stories...dron-chindits/
Old 01-02-18, 08:08 AM

An interesting thread.
SAS1 - I also recall the Bosleys lot and think you are right - I recall a chindit patch from memory only though
Mike - thanks for the link
Mike
Just found an image - I hope it is OK to publish here as it was Bosleys Buywyze - It does draw attention to the quality of their items - the guy was said to be a 'ground observer' - I did not record the price unfortunately but see image narrative for description.

Last edited by Mike B; 01-02-18 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-02-18, 09:53 AM

Hi,

I know a Chindit title on blue/grey cloth, with thread looking like a light blue silk.
Could it be RAF ?

Best regards .. Herve
Old 01-02-18, 11:18 AM
Banned

Thanks very much Mike for posting that link, it gives me more info than I had on the role.

Mike B, thanks for finding that photo - good to know my memory hasn't totally gone! As he is noted as a 'ground observer' I wonder if he was one of the officer's commanding the section of signalled a, thus not technically a wireless man but the one who established the DZ, and monitored the drop?

Herve that title is fascinating!! I have several hundred RAF titles but have not seen that one before. Certainly it looks like RAF colours and if so I wonder if it was ever worn on RAF SD with the Chindit patch? You say you 'know of' it, is it for sale by any chance?

Does anyone else know anything about the Chindit 'RAF title?
Old 01-02-18, 12:06 PM

Very interesting! - I did not know of that insignia
A very useful thread.
Mike
Old 01-02-18, 12:37 PM
Banned

Mike, I've been collecting and researching WW2 RAF insignia for 40 years and have some very rare stuff. But I am still learning all the time! Some things like this fall more under other areas (special forces for example) and so it's great when those with a better knowledge there can add more.

There are several other such areas I'm looking into too - beach groups, RAF Servicing Commando etc...