British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-07-16, 10:26 AM

Default My grandfathers ID

I'm new to the forum so if I have posted in a wrong spot, I'm truly sorry.

A little bit of background, on a wonderful man. And then I need help determining what I have exactly.

About a year ago on the labour day Monday, my grandfather passed away. I had tried to visit him as much as I could in the past 6 years with my mother. (as it's a 3.5 hour drive and taking time off work was a hassle, thank god for "being sick").

Now I know my grandfather was a pilot in the war, and I have seen the pictures, news clippings, and talked to him about how when he was crossing from Canada over to England , his ship was torpedoed. My uncle didn't want majority of his stuff, so my mom got it, as well as me. I got his wrist watch that his father bought for him back in 1945 (bubble dome rolex, which I wear on his birthday, and remembrance day) I also got, what I think is an id bracelet, but from the size of it, maybe I'm wrong.

My other 3 brothers came to help pack up stuff to take back home, stuff my uncle didn't want, which I was honored to take them. I have his flight training book, pictures and the articles of the incident with the ship. Pictures of my grandmother, and his flight log book, even a day pass for a leave. As well as the menu from his graduation from the military flight training.

All items I knew what they were, where as my brothers were assuming and guessing what they were, sad because they never got to really sit and talk with him. Some stories were funny, but then I could see his face change when he remembered people that he knew dying. So I learned quickly not to push the questions.

So sorry for the ramble but had to do the background on it first, and well I'm still trying to locate where exactly he was, as next year I plan on going to England to meet up with some friends but also see what he saw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just need to confirm that this was an id bracelet, or was it a sweetheart bracelet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img1.jpg (43.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg img2.jpg (38.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg img3.jpg (66.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 13-07-16, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Hello sed8ted, welcome to the Forum.
The bracelet is an identification item, but it is private purchase, not an official issue item. It was quite a common practice, and as you can see appears to have been a gift from someone important in his life.
Old 13-07-16, 11:56 AM

Private purchase identity bracelet.

Many servicemen wore similar items, but the official issue identity discs in WW2 were the red and green pair made from fibre.
Old 13-07-16, 12:00 PM

Anything like these in your grandfathers effects?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dog tags.jpg (50.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 14-07-16, 10:43 AM

Hi sed8ted

Badges and bracelets aside, if you are looking to see where your grandfather was stationed then look in the log book and other paperwork that you have, for his Squadron number.He may have been RCAF but he may have served with an RAF Sqn as easily as an RCAF one. Many UK, Med, or even Far East possibilities. Do not discount his Training either. The different Flying schools he attended were all over the place too. The web abounds with info as to the where & what for Initial Training Schools (ITS),Elementary Flying Training Schools (EFTS), Advanced Flying Training Schools (AFTS), etc to No.6 Group RAF Bomber Command or the Fighter Command/Tactical Air Force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ties_in_Canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._6_Group_RCAF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Se...ical_Air_Force

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/...age/index.page

Time period and Squadron number will give you the easiest solution to your wondering where he served. Was he aircrew? Fighters? Bombers? Transport?Do you have his service medals/uniform/badges?

I admire your dedication to being knowledgeable of your relative's service. Nice bracelet.

regards
Darrell
Old 24-07-16, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Anything like these in your grandfathers effects?
yes, he still had those, my mom has them in with his coin collection that she inherited, along with his medals.
Old 24-07-16, 12:42 PM

thank you for clarifying everyone, I will get a list made of his squadrons, and I do have his flight log book. Which may also help. I will compile it and post my findings later.