British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-11-15, 10:56 PM

Default Possible Malaya patch?

Anyone know this patch please? I thought it might be Malayan as it shows their 13 point yellow star. the Malayan Army had a series of patches showing a yellow 13 point star on various coloured squares, but I don't know if this is military.
Any information welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Malaysia possibility.jpg (101.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 18-11-15, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger44 View Post
Anyone know this patch please? I thought it might be Malayan as it shows their 13 point yellow star. the Malayan Army had a series of patches showing a yellow 13 point star on various coloured squares, but I don't know if this is military.
Any information welcome.
Me neither, but interesting and certainly worthy of research. The star at lower, right is curiously distorted. Any experts in Malayan/Malaysian heraldry out there? Mike
Old 18-11-15, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Me neither, but interesting and certainly worthy of research. The star at lower, right is curiously distorted. Any experts in Malayan/Malaysian heraldry out there? Mike
The yellow star on black square is (was?) the formation sign of Malaysian Army Static Units. The blue/white waves are the lower part of the coat of arms of Penang. And the tiger................???
Old 18-11-15, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the further info, Mike. I seem to have hit the wrong button in my original post as the star should of course be an 11 point star, not 13 as I incorrectly typed. I agree that the yellow star on a black square was worn by Static Units, but I have always thought the 11 point star was Malaya pre 1963, rather than Malaysia post 1963, as Malaysia had a 14 point star. I attach a scan of the two versions of Static Units I have. I have always taken it that 11 point star was Malaya, and 14 point was Malaysia. If this is correct, then the badge for identification should be pre 1963 as it has two 11 point stars on it rather than 14 point stars for Malaysia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img137.jpg (29.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 18-11-15, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger44 View Post
Thanks for the further info, Mike. I seem to have hit the wrong button in my original post as the star should of course be an 11 point star, not 13 as I incorrectly typed. I agree that the yellow star on a black square was worn by Static Units, but I have always thought the 11 point star was Malaya pre 1963, rather than Malaysia post 1963, as Malaysia had a 14 point star. I attach a scan of the two versions of Static Units I have. I have always taken it that 11 point star was Malaya, and 14 point was Malaysia. If this is correct, then the badge for identification should be pre 1963 as it has two 11 point stars on it rather than 14 point stars for Malaysia
You are absolutely correct - I was using the 14 point stars in my collection as a colour reference. The 11 point star signs are quite hard to find. Most that I have seen are bazaar made, EonF not the Hong Kong made printed Malaysian signs. Mike
Old 18-11-15, 03:14 PM

Default Found in Hong Kong c 1990

Malaysian Signs 1966.jpg
Old 18-11-15, 06:30 PM

Default Unidentified Malayan/Malaysian signs

While on matters Malayan and Malaysian, can anyone identify these two:
Malayan_Malaysian Unident.01.jpg Thanks. Mike
Old 19-11-15, 02:33 PM

I have the one on the right as Malaya Army HQ as it has an 11 point star. I don't have the one on the left, but I believe it could be Malaysia Army HQ as the colours are the same. I believe that after it became Malaysia, it used the same format for the badges at first, merely substituting the new 14 point star for the original 11 point star. However, later on, certainly by the 1980's, the square background became shield shaped, so perhaps this could an the earlier version of these shield shaped badges.
As you said earlier, if anyone else has any input on the cloth badges of Malaya/Malaysia, it would be interesting to know what can be confirmed on these.