British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-17, 05:38 PM

Default GHQ Home Forces patch 2nd pattern

I have been researching the Theatre Intelligence Section, they produced much of the defences info for the D-Day landings, which evolved out of GHQ Home Forces Intelligence. They started approximately early 1942 and as such I guess they wore the 2nd pattern GHQ Home Forces sleeve patch. I say guess because I have had a devil of a job finding any images of anyone wearing that patch, let alone someone in the Intelligence section.

I wondered whether any members have come across any photos showing officers or ORs wearing this patch? It would be interesting to gauge how wide spread its wear was.

Thanks
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBF_GHQ_HomeForces.jpg (51.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-02-17, 09:10 PM

I only know of one image showing this sign being worn - IWM H 31677 captioned " Lt Gen Sir Harold Franklyn, the CinC inspecting coastal defences in Northern Comm and in August 1943". The sign is being worn by a General officer accompanying the CinC. Mike
Old 11-10-23, 08:45 PM

Default GHQ HOME FORCES VER 1 PHOTO

My father was an officer leading a group of soldiers from the Queens Royal Regiment. They trained the members of the Auxiliary Units in East Sussex.

He had an Austin 8 Tourer which had a Home Forces Version 1 formation sign.
I attach a photo as you said that you had only seen one before.

I am still trying to determine when the sign began and ended. A calculated guess is July 1940 to February 1942 but that needs confirming.

Is there a NA file reference that would cover it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aux car.jpg (64.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg aux form zoom.jpg (41.8 KB, 33 views)

Tags
ghq home forces