British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-10-17, 02:30 PM

Default Army Apprentice College Pipers Plaid Brooch post 1966

Dear Friends.

I am trying to find a clear photo or similar image of a Army Apprentice College Pipers Plaid Brooch worn by the Pipe Band after the Regiment became the Army Apprentice College and badged Royal Signals in 1965/66.

I have attached a photo of the Regimental Band and Pipers dated April 1978. The Pipers can quite clearly be seen wearing the Plaid Brooch but the photo has been taken at some distance and hence I can not get a clear image.

I believe that the Brooch is very similar to the 32nd (Scottish) Signals Regiment (V) that came into being in 1967. A photo of their Plaid Brooch is also attached. It has Jimmy in the centre and the Chrome Quoit but has a void in the middle.

From the photo I have attached it looks like the Army Apprentice College which was previously called the Army Apprentice School until the change over in 1965 when the College became a single Royal Signals badged college.

The badge which is very similar to the 32nd (Scottish) Signal Regiment (V) and also the current Royal Corps of Signals Corps of Pipes and Drums but was worn before 32nd (Scottish) Signal Regiment (V) came into being in 1967. Seems to have the Jimmy on the Chrome quoit but there is no void in the middle. Perhaps this design may have been used by the Scottish Regiment.

I there is any member of the Forum who has one of these Non-Void Signals Plaid Brooches I would very much appreciate a site of one.

If I am incorrect in what I think from the attached Regimental photo perhaps someone can advise me.

With my kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAC Harrogate April 1978.jpg (78.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Signals Plaid Brooch post 1967.jpg (17.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 17-10-17, 04:07 PM

Hi Chris,i "might " be able to help with a good image ,i cant promise. I need to speak to a few people.
There werent that many pipers and you were classed as an outcast if you graduated with the band and not with the Senior squadron. When i left (Mar 83),there was 1 bandsman. He was told to wear No2s and drill with us or f. K off. He was the most junior guy,in what was the small graduation ever.
Old 17-10-17, 04:43 PM

Dear Mike

Many thanks. I would be m0ost grateful for your help.

Did the Band fold up??

I was actually in the Band as a Junior Leader in Denbury back in 1964. If you passed out you had to go through the passing out parade and not be part of the band.

Many thanks

Chris
Old 17-10-17, 05:19 PM

At Harrogate ,as far as i can recall . You had the choice,if you were DMaj or PMaj ,you had no choice.
Old 17-10-17, 08:15 PM

These may help. The PMaj is circa 1985,the other late 60s early 70s i believe
Old 17-10-17, 08:22 PM

A couple more for you Chris. Im told these are 1968.
I noticed that the rank badge was silver or white on green rather than black on red. I wonder what year that changed.
The brooch is different ,so that has changed too.

Last edited by Mike H; 17-10-17 at 08:28 PM.
Old 18-10-17, 09:19 AM

Dear Mike.

Many thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

It looks like I am wrong with the Plaid Brooch looking like the Royal Signals Pipe Band Plaid Brooch that is currently worn. The coloured photo I attached to this thread dated 1978 certainly looked to be a Chrome quoit with a Jimmy in the middle. I am not expert enough to be able to inhance the photo enough to see a good example.

As you say Mike a couple of very good photos. The first one looks like it could be a Black Watch Plaid Brooch. This would make sense as the Pipe Band wore the Black Watch Tartan.

Will have to go back to the drawing board on this one Mike.

Very many thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Chris
Old 18-10-17, 09:23 AM

No problems Chris,if i get any more images ill let you know.
Old 18-10-17, 11:20 AM

Dear Mike and All.

How interesting the two photos of the Harrogate Pipe Major that you think are around 1968.

Is there any possibility that the photos of the 1968 Pipe Major from Harrogate is actually wearing the Grant Plaid Brooch on his Black Watch Plaid?

Compare the two photos with the one I have attached of Senior Pipe Sergeant Bob Mathieson of the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Signals taken in 1964 (My time) wearing the Grant Plaid Brooch with the Grant Tartan that the Pipe Band of the time wore. Hard to tell but they do look similar from a distance. Comments please.

The interesting thing is. The Junior Leaders Regiment, Royal Corps of Signals closed down in 1967. (After my time). I believe boy soldiers after that date actually went to Harrogate for their training but not 100% sure.

Is there a possibility that JLR uniforms were then used by the Harrogate Pipe Band after 1967 and hence what looks like Grant Plaid Brooches being worn for a period of time? Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only thought is would they have actually used another clans brooch when they were wearing Black Watch tartans and always have.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harrogate Piper 2 circa 1968.jpg (26.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Harrogate Piper circa 1968.jpg (25.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Senior Pipe Sergeant Rob Mathieson 1964.jpg (40.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 18-10-17, 12:54 PM

I dont know Chris. The PMaj images were sent to me by a guy named McKay. Its him in the images,he stated that they were 1968. Ill be honest,i dont even know what Squadron he was in.
Old 18-10-17, 06:42 PM

Chris,somebody has sent me the original image you posted. A couple of things i picked up, the musicians arent wearing collar badges.
The plaid brooch appears to be a Jimmy mounted on a solid disc rather than one with a pierced centre.
Old 19-10-17, 01:23 PM

Thanks Mike.

Is there any chance that you can send me a copy of the original April 1978 photo of the Band and Pipe Band to my home address.

signalsbadges@gmail.com

I may then send it on to a friend who may be able to do something with the photo to make it clearer.

I must admit Mike I have not noticed that there are no collar badges but am also delighted that you think the Plaid is a Round Quoit with Jimmy and no void in the middle. That certainly is my take.

I have tried to do something with the Pipe Major from 1968 Plaid Brooch as you can see and I must say it certainly looks like a Grant Plaid Brooch don't you think?

Many thanks Mike.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.png (14.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 19-10-17, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

My experience of the Royal Signals Pipes and Drums is that they make the best of what they have got and its not uncommon for them to have plaid broaches of differing patterns simply because that was what they had been passed down.
Old 19-10-17, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walker View Post
Thanks Mike.

Is there any chance that you can send me a copy of the original April 1978 photo of the Band and Pipe Band to my home address.

signalsbadges@gmail.com

I may then send it on to a friend who may be able to do something with the photo to make it clearer.

I must admit Mike I have not noticed that there are no collar badges but am also delighted that you think the Plaid is a Round Quoit with Jimmy and no void in the middle. That certainly is my take.

I have tried to do something with the Pipe Major from 1968 Plaid Brooch as you can see and I must say it certainly looks like a Grant Plaid Brooch don't you think?

Many thanks Mike.

Chris
Reference the plaid brooch Chris,not a clue mate. Definately solid. Also ,if you focus on the P/Maj,he is wearing the AAS colour belt not a R.Signals one.Im not really that clued up on Scottish stuff ,only modern hat and collar badges.

Last edited by Mike H; 19-10-17 at 06:34 PM.
Old 19-10-17, 08:51 PM

Hello Chris, hope you don't mind me butting in. I mucked about with the image a bit and although it is grainy you can see the voids a bit better.
Regards Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harrogate Piper circa 1968.jpg (29.9 KB, 32 views)