British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-07-17, 04:45 AM

Default Royal Navy work shirt

Can more than one trade badge be worn on the old style blue work shirt ,
if so would they all be on the right arm .e.g. commando dagger patch etc.
Old 17-07-17, 06:37 PM

Hello.

I've never seen any more than one trade or branch badge worn on the No 4 (old No 8) AWD (Action Working Dress) shirt with the exception of parachute wings, (printed blue on white) which I once saw worn by a submariner who was serving (or had served) with the subsunk parachute assistance group (SPAG) but in over 45 years of collecting naval insignia and many years serving in and working around the Royal Navy I have never seen anything else worn.

Regards

Tony
Old 17-07-17, 06:49 PM

Totally agree with Tony's comments. Never saw more than one branch or trade badge being worn on AWD.

Pete
Old 17-07-17, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee222 View Post
Can more than one trade badge be worn on the old style blue work shirt ,
if so would they all be on the right arm .e.g. commando dagger patch etc.
I should further add, this applies only to Royal Navy AWD shirts, AWD were also worn by Royal Marines and Army Seamen of the Royal Corps of Transport/Royal Logistics Corps,of whom I have seen wearing white chevrons (NCO stripes) by Army Seamen and red by Royal Marines, I have also seen standard issue parachute wings, red on blue commando knife and SW diving helmet worn by the Army.

Regards

Tony
Old 18-07-17, 05:22 AM

Thanks all for the help , never knew the RM Commando used this shirt.
Old 18-07-17, 06:59 AM

In the 1960s Royal Marines serving in Ship Detachment's routinely wore their green Commando beret with Royal Navy No. 8 working rig of a blue coton drill shirt and dark blue trousers. On the No. 8 shirt rank chevrons were worn in red on black, on the right sleeve only. I'm not sure when this started or finished but by the time I joined the RN in 1978 it was no longer worn. Do any of our former Royal Marine members remember wearing this rig?

Pete
Old 18-07-17, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
In the 1960s Royal Marines serving in Ship Detachment's routinely wore their green Commando beret with Royal Navy No. 8 working rig of a blue coton drill shirt and dark blue trousers. On the No. 8 shirt rank chevrons were worn in red on black, on the right sleeve only. I'm not sure when this started or finished but by the time I joined the RN in 1978 it was no longer worn. Do any of our former Royal Marine members remember wearing this rig?

Pete
You didn't miss it by much. I was on Danae from1975 to 1977 when we paid off after the Review. Originally we were to be W.I. Guard Ship so carried a Bootie detachment. The plans changed but the detachment stayed.
They wore No.8s as working rig the whole time.
Old 18-07-17, 04:48 PM

Served in the Royal Marines Amphib. Detachment onboard HMS Fearless '69/70 and wore No.8's. Unfortunately whoever took the photo had it printed the wrong way as my Cap Badge is not over the left eye ! Singapore Roads ... we never wore SQ badges in 8's only rank badges. We also still had the 'tot' then !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RGP and Bob Worthington.jpg (39.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 18-07-17, 06:45 PM

Hi, the following links (if they work) show two you tube videos, in one (Seventies Navy) are clear shots of a Royal Marine gun crew wearing No 8 AWD and green berets and donning anti flash and steel helmets, In the other )Frigate 1973) it shows a clear shot of a Royal Marine in No 8 AWD with red corporals stripes, Hope its of interest?

Regards

Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9M5X7zoNZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72I-nSgQek

If not, just search Seventies Navy and both videos will come up!
Old 18-07-17, 07:34 PM

By way of contrast, Going Ashore Rig, Tokyo, Sept. '69 ... Half Lovats, Haneda Airport. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...1&d=1500406242
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tokyo.jpg (47.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 18-07-17, 08:24 PM

Thanks very much everyone! As you say I didn't miss seeing them by much. Some fine photographs as well! I really appreciate them being posted.

I have DVDs of both the films mentioned so I will have to have a good look at them and play spot the marine.

Thanks again

Pete