British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-13, 04:15 PM

Question Please help identify this fur hat

Hi guys, thanks for looking, and thanks in advance for any help to identify this hat that I just got.

The tag inside shows the hat was manufactured by Scully. It's named to Telfer, DB, and there's a number as well: CSC-5956.

It came in with a navy blue wedge cap with gold piping along the top, with a War Pensioners Of Canada patch and WPC gold pin on it. I can add pictures of this item, if needed.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 04-07-13, 04:54 PM

another question or point:

on the 4th picture down, just below the TELFER DB stamp, there's a cloth tab that has a faint blue stamp on it. It kind of looks like a circle with a diamond or something like that, in it.

If you can help me identify that as well, that's be wonderful.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 04-07-13, 05:23 PM

Hi Andy, if I'm not mistaken what you have is a Royal Military College of Canada cadet winter fur cap. As for the blue stamp it's the post-war equivalent of the C-broad arrow sign.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 04-07-13, 05:54 PM

Thanks Jo!

From doing an image search on Google, I could only come up with this one:

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...FkFtRXpsPg.jpg

(hope that link works) The hat is black (fur?), with the red cloth coming down, and the little gold bullion button. Looks similar, but still not with grey fur. Do you think they would have different colors depending on what area they were in? ie. Air Force was grey, army-black, etc...?
Old 04-07-13, 06:13 PM

Jo has it correct. This is Grey Astrachan cap as worn by the Gentlemen Cadets of the Royal Military College. The blck one shown in the link is either recent or to another regiment/corps.
Clive
Old 04-07-13, 07:57 PM

Default RMC Fur Hat

Hello:
It is indeed the winter hat of RMC and the other service colleges. I searched the RMC Club website and could not find D.B. Telfer either when searched by college number (5956) or by name. The block of college numbers in that range indicate entry at Royal Roads College in 1963. For those that don't know the college numbers run consecutive starting with the "Old Eighteen" class that entered RMC Kingston in 1876 to the present day cadets. I was at the college in Kingston with entry in 1968 and graduation in 1972. My assigned college number on entry was 9235. We were issued the same grey fur hat and it had a cloth and metal thread cap badge sewn onto the front edge of the cap. The cloth badge was a larger version of the metal college cap badge with the mailed fist. I believe that it is still in use today. I was never aware of other coloured fur hats in use at the college.
Cheers
Don Fair
Old 04-07-13, 08:27 PM

Andy, a picture of well-known Canadian WW1 war hero and former Gentleman Cadet wearing the Astrakan hat, Billy Bishop......1914.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ishopCadet.jpg

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 04-07-13, 10:02 PM

Hi all and Don, I have a RMC winter hat with a lovely King's Crown bullion badge on it. The maker is George Mills & Co., Kingston. Inside is a regimental #2713. Are you able to track now this number?

Greg
Old 04-07-13, 10:19 PM

Well guys looks like I found him on the RMC Club website. It appears that the hat was worn by Capt. John Walter Walsh. He attended RMC from 1939-1941then went overseas as a Captain in the PPCLI. After the war he was a prominent lawyer in Vancouver. Capt. Walsh passed away Feb. 21, 2010.

It's nice to be able to attach some provenance to an item. Thanks to Don for giving me a hint as to where I could find the number and eventually the obit.

Greg
Old 04-07-13, 11:09 PM

Not sure but I believe that the "CSC" prefix to the number identifies "Canadian Service College" as we had three at the time (RMC, Royal Roads and St-Jean.)
Clive
Old 05-07-13, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Not sure but I believe that the "CSC" prefix to the number identifies "Canadian Service College" as we had three at the time (RMC, Royal Roads and St-Jean.)
Clive
CSC - "Canadian Services Colleges" - That's not what everybody called them...

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 22-04-14, 12:51 AM

Sometime after Unification, RMC started wearing the black CF winter hat with the scarlet flap instead of the old grey astrakhan, although the cadets still called them astrakhans. We didn't get issued with these or the big black CMC greatcoats at Royal Roads because it wasn't "cold enough".

Interestingly, when we were issued our navy blue uniforms to replace the CF greens in '87, they also issued a navy blue flap for the winter had to replace the green flap, although I was still never issued with a winter hat.
Old 22-04-14, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
CSC - "Canadian Services Colleges" - That's not what everybody called them...

Phil
Out of curiosity, does anyone know when they changed the collective name from Canadian Services Colleges to Canadian Military Colleges. Was it about the same time that Royal Roads became RRMC in '68?