British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-12-13, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumua View Post
brass or blackened?
I have forwarded both badges, so it will be interesting to see whose badges end up on the book cover.
Old 09-12-13, 05:15 PM

Once again, James Dangers medals are up for sale. Wouldn't that be a nice Christmas present for the family !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Iain, I still have a lot of cards to play, because as you know I have a big interest in the Maori Battalion, but have kept most of my research to myself as Shaun has put his hand up to write an artice on the Maori Battalion badges. (Hurry up Shaun)

My interest in the Maori Battalion is primarily due to my great uncle "Hemi Te Miha" who enlisted in the 2nd Maori Contingent as a Private on the 1st of July 1915 at the age of 22.

Unfortunately when Hemi's medals came up for sale in February 2009, I was unable to come up with the funds to purchase them, but as soon I can get some spare cash I hope to bring the medals back into family hands again.

Interestingly, during a Wellington badge club meeting that was held at forum member Wayne Ihaka's house in December 2010, I was introduced to another badge collector by the name of Hemi who just happened to have the following wartime photo of my great uncle Hemi Te Miha.

Unfortunately Hemi is not wearing the red and black Maori patch which suggests that the photo was taken shortly after his arrival at Narrow Neck Camp.

Like many young maori who enlisted, Hemi Te Miha adopted a more european sounding name, and by using extended family names, he enlisted as James Danger, Service No. 16/575.

Corporal Hemi Te Miha (James Danger) died of wounds on the 3rd September 1917 at the 2nd Australian General Hospital, and is burried at Wimereux Communal Cemetery, Pas-de-Calais, France.

Some more Hemi Te Miha/James Danger stuff-
http://beta.natlib.govt.nz/items/22439467
Old 09-12-13, 06:24 PM

Hi Iain,
Bit of a mystery, the medals were withdrawn from sale.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 09-12-13, 06:45 PM

Hi Tinto

Dangar's trio are currently listed on eBay UK, Item no. 350949078552. The seller is asking a buy now price of £895.00.

Regards

John
Old 09-12-13, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Once again, James Dangers medals are up for sale. Wouldn't that be a nice Christmas present for the family !!
Just buy them you will likely never get another chance (especially if they end up in my collection).......
Old 11-12-13, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
The current owner did approach me first before offering James medals on ebay, but with a 7k quote for my daughter’s dental work looming, the $1500 asking price is just out of reach.
As mentioned the good thing is that most of James WW1 Items including his death penny and diary were donated to the NZ National Library for all to enjoy.

http://tapuhi.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin...5/492082,02801

Last edited by atillathenunns; 11-12-13 at 01:16 AM.
Old 20-01-14, 09:33 PM

For those interested, Geoff Newman has a matching pair of NZ WW1 Pioneer collars, with Gaunt maker's plates, for sale at http://www.gnmilitaria.co.uk

Cheers

John
Old 07-04-14, 10:48 PM

Tena koe
Just an update to let everyone know that Tania Simpson's book “The Last Maopo” mentioned in post #112 is having its book launch on the 10th of April and will be in bookstores in time for ANZAC day.
Old 06-06-14, 05:51 AM

I spotted this one for sale on a website ,a non voided NZ Pioneers badge ??!!

I welcome all constructive comments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_1171.jpg (83.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg tn_1345.jpg (84.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-06-14, 06:26 AM

Any idea of size?
Old 06-06-14, 06:36 AM

Described as a cap badge
Old 05-07-14, 04:14 AM

Default The Last Maopo

“This is not only a moving personal story but also one of very few books to tell the experience of the First World War first hand from a Maori viewpoint.” —Christopher Pugsley

Having just completed ‘The Last Maopo’ written by Tania Simpson , I too agree with Christopher Pugsley that Tania’s book is poignantly moving with a powerful sense of character and war atmosphere described through the letters home by Wiremu Maopo.

Although I was already bias having done a little research on Wiremu Maopo prior to reading Tania’s book, I still found it to be a real page-turner with surprising twists and turns that came in the form of Family and friends that Wiremu had left behind in New Zealand.

For the badge enthusiasts among us, I counted more than half a dozen mentions of badges within the book, including the following. — “The Badge is off my hat, a large one, it was the first one issued to me. I have carried it with me fully twelve months so I hope you would like it.”

At the top of the following page (90) there is an example of the badge that Wiremu is talking about.
Although the photograph was one of several from two collections supplied by me to the publisher, the badge finally chosen by the publisher was from the collection of fellow forum member Wayne Ihaka. The NZ Pioneers badge that is pictured below Wayne’s badge is from my own collection.

The other forum member who graciously supplied NZ 1st Pattern Maori Contingent badges for Tania’s most excellent book was the late Shaun Aumua (Post # 120) who was instrumental in helping me solve the enigma of WW1 Maori badges that had been misinterpreted by Dave Corbett in his two NZ badge books.

If you are interested in Maori soldiers during WW1, then “The Last Maopo’ is a book you should read.

A Youtube clip for the Last Maopo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPPJ39XCUjk

Last edited by atillathenunns; 05-07-14 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-10-14, 11:50 AM

Default Maopo Medal Surfaces

To my delight a friend just advised me that someone has posted Wiremu Maopo's Victory Medal for sale on E-bay - so hoping to get it back into the family! Tania
Old 04-10-14, 10:24 PM

Tania I am 100% sure the medal is destined to return home, but do put in a hefty reserve to avoid the last minute snipers that troll E-bay.
Old 15-10-14, 11:31 PM

A variation of the NZ Pioneers badge, that is in two well known collections. Not to be confused with Firmin restrike which is abundant on Ebay .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1 Pioneers 061_crop.jpg (70.0 KB, 19 views)