British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Royal Canadian Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-04-14, 09:04 PM

Default Black Gaiters

Although not a badge issue per se, I assume other questions of naval dress are kosher on this forum. I am interested in recollections on the wearing of black gaiters by gunnery instructors. When I was a sea cadet at HMCS QUADRA in 1980, we had a new Parade Officer who had apparently been a CGI in the RCN and he introduced the wearing of black web gaiters by the cadet GIs. I have read that this was the practice at some point at HMS EXCELLENT. Was this the normal practice for RCN GIs on parade prior to the end of the Gunnery Branch in 1960? When Boatswains took over drill and ceremonial, did they continue with this at all?

With respect to gunners' chains and thunder whistles, parade staff were still wearing these on divisions into the 1990s, but the practice appeared to die when they stopped being available through the supply system.
Old 21-04-14, 10:10 PM

Yes Gino, the Parade/Gunnery Instructor Staff at HMCS Cornwallis wore the black gaitors at least up to 1968.

Bryan
Old 21-04-14, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Yes Gino, the Parade/Gunnery Instructor Staff at HMCS Cornwallis wore the black gaitors at least up to 1968.

Bryan
VMT for the confirmation. I assume it would have been the practice at Stadacona and Naden also.

As an aside, there are still circles who would like to see white web gaiters again for naval guards and bands, despite the fact that the return of any sort of square rig uniform is highly unlikely.

No offense to the boatswain trade, but I can't help but think that parade ceremonial in the RCN has been going downhill ever since the end of the Gunnery Branch.

Last edited by Gino; 21-04-14 at 10:41 PM.
Old 22-04-14, 12:46 PM

Yes I would say definitely at Stad & Naden, the Gunnery school was at Stad as well.

I cannot see, even in my extreme imagination, Canada ever returning to the old 'Square (sailors) rig' - it just wont happen here - that uniform definitely represents a regression into the past that the gov't (especially a liberal gov't) would not want to get involved in - the cost alone would be horrendous. & especially so as we move further & further away from the time (coming onto 50 years now) it was worn & more & more 2WW & post 2WW vets pass away.
I attend Military shows in S.ON & every show one hears of more vets passing, & so many collectors now do not even remember that uniform! Like your generation, they came in in green & passed onto the uniform change of the mid 1980's. To that generation the old pre 1968 "sailor suits" are seen as dinosaurs! & as I wore one I feel somewhat qualified to comment - the d**d things were not particularly easy to wear & were definitely uncomfortable in hot weather!

I have heard the Army is moving back to wearing the old pre 1968 Officer rank insignia (ie: crowns & rank stars) - this to me is a regressive step also. I would estimate not many of the current serving members even remember that system of insignia! Why the need to change something that operates well & everyone understands???

I think also the Canadian Forces has to project an image of moving forward into the future, not a regression into the past - moving back into the pre 1968 insignia & uniforms would definitely be a regression..

I am unable to comment on your last sentence concerning the current state of parade training in the CAF as I am too far removed from the current CAF to even know how recruits are trained or who trains them now.........even now the old HMCS Cornwallis I understand is an Industrial Park now - I have not been there since '72.

RCN Bryan

Last edited by RCN; 22-04-14 at 12:53 PM.
Old 22-04-14, 07:07 PM

Your points are well taken, although it a shame as it was a far superior looking uniform to what our sailors wear today. I wore it as a sea cadet and loved it. Of course back before Unification, all the seamen dressed in square rig were pretty young and fit. A double breasted jacket can hide a multitude of sins, but a seaman's jumper looks like a sausage casing on a fat sailor. Still, other navies seem to still get on alright with square rig, even though it is usually only worn for dress occasions now.

All recruit training is done by the green machine in St Jean, and it appears that they are taught less and less drill all the time. I have been involved in several guards of honour in Esquimalt and although the boatswains are competent enough in teaching basic foot and rifle drill, naval traditions are slowly being forgotten in favour of the tri-service way. For instance, almost no one can teach the proper way of doing naval sword drill anymore. It's also sometimes a struggle to remind them that white gloves are not the navy way.