British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-08-23, 01:21 PM

Default Seeking ID of WW1 Volunteer Regt (ex VTC)

Can anyone help with the identity of the enclosed unit insignia? At first I thought it was the 30th Infantry Battalion (British Columbia) of the CEF, whose cap badge was a quite similar shape, but the close up image proved otherwise. I now think it might be a badge of a Volunteer Force, Volunteer Regiment, formed towards the end of the war from the previous Volunteer Training Corps (VTC) units. But which unit is it? As an example titles might read something like 2nd Birmingham [Volunteer] Regiment. This has become a real mystery and I’d appreciate help in tracking this down. What it says on the horizontal title scroll is key but I can’t quite make it out with any certainty. These men were not frontline soldiers and in effect were the Dad’s Army equivalent of WW1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9276.jpeg (32.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9277.jpeg (59.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 25-08-23 at 02:02 PM.
Old 24-08-23, 07:24 AM

Apparently it was the prototype badge for 2nd British Columbia Regiment and was withdrawn in 1916. Details can be seen at canadiansoldiers.com - scroll down to just past 30th Battalion: https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/ins...7%20-%2035.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9288.jpg (40.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 24-08-23 at 09:40 AM.