British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-09-13, 10:10 PM

Default Dating the JR Gaunt B'Ham maker mark

Hi everybody,

Can anybody tell me if the Gaunt B'Ham mark is a wrong'un for GM badges with a Q/C. I know its wrong for KC badges in GM.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 18-09-13, 07:15 AM
Former Member

Post Gaunt Birmingham Marked Sliders

Phil,
Her Majesty came to the Throne around the same period as anodised badges were being introduced, so QC pattern non-anodised are not uncommon! A few years later along came the Brigade system (1958-68) which saw the Regular infantry losing their cap badges, many of which would not emerge from the other end! The RF are such and would have adopted the Fusilier Brigade and then retain it on becoming a battalion of the RRF. Some of the London TA & Cadet units may have retained the QC metal badge during this period, however by the time Gaunt B'HAM began appearing on metal badges (1970s) the RF badge with QC would have been well obsolete! So I think it is another reproduction?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 18-09-13 at 09:49 AM.
Old 18-09-13, 08:00 AM
LYPAO Boff

Phil

I agree with Andy..... if this was a "Good Un" for the early Cold War period I believe it would have this Gaunt mark.... the B'HAM mark is post 1960s.

J.R.GAUNT LONDON 1.5mm x 23.75mm

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 18-09-13, 08:18 AM
Former Member

I agree with Griff too, however the B'HAM mark on metal (non-A/A) is a 1970's indicator.

99.99% of metal badges bearing this mark were produced for the collectors market from the 70's onwards and not issued items as anodised aluminium would have been introduced some 15 years earlier as the material of manufacture for the majority of unit cap badges. That's not to say that some B'HAM marked badges could have been worn post 70's by those serving, but these would have more than likely been acquired by the individual(s) rather than issued and worn in preference over the unpopular (to some) anodised badges? However the majority of the badges that appear with the B'HAM mark are of badges/units that no longer existed!

Andy
Old 18-09-13, 08:34 AM

Default gaunt

Andy very informative reply in both cases ,I think it would be in members interest to print and keep your response for reference
Regards David
Old 18-09-13, 09:21 AM
Former Member

David,
thank you, if used for reference may I please add that the MM referred to appears on the sliders, as some, what appear to be genuine Gaunt B'HAM marks have appeared on earlier badges either on plates or on the body of the badge.

Andy
Old 18-09-13, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

If everyone is in agreement I could pin this to the top of the restrikes forum.
Old 15-12-13, 07:16 PM

A year or so ago I spent a few hours in Birmingham Central Library going through Gaunt archives. They had always had their factory in B'ham but an office in London - for prestige. Circumstances caused them to finally abandon the London office in 1964 (or 5, I can't get at my notes at the mo). I believe that this was reflected in what was marked on their badges. As corroboration, Chris gave the date of 1964 in his AA book though I wasn't aware that metal badges were treated any differently.
Old 15-12-13, 07:25 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
A year or so ago I spent a few hours in Birmingham Central Library going through Gaunt archives. They had always had their factory in B'ham but an office in London - for prestige. Circumstances caused them to finally abandon the London office in 1964 (or 5, I can't get at my notes at the mo). I believe that this was reflected in what was marked on their badges. As corroboration, Chris gave the date of 1964 in his AA book though I wasn't aware that metal badges were treated any differently.
Julian,
I think the "metal" B'HAM marked badges started to surface c.1970 when they were in some financial disarray!

Andy
Old 15-12-13, 09:54 PM

Quote:
The London office was not 'abandoned' in 1964 (or 5 for that matter). Gaunt occupied 5 Warwick Street until 1973. They then relocated to 1 – 8 Batemans Buildings, Soho Square, London until 1991, then very briefly to Covent Garden. The London office was closed in 1993.
Old 15-12-13, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Julian,
I think the "metal" B'HAM marked badges started to surface c.1970 when they were in some financial disarray!

Andy
Gaunt's were hardly in 'financial disarray' in the early 1970's. Mr Gaunt sold the company for an amount well in excess of 7 figures (in today's terms) in 1973.
Old 15-12-13, 11:42 PM
Former Member

Well if what you say is true then perhaps it was the new owners c.1973 who were responsible for flooding the collectors market with reproductions bearing the "J.R.GAUNT B'HAM" mark? Perhaps in response to the demand created by the publication of Gaylor and K&K???????

Andy
Old 15-12-13, 11:46 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Julian,
They should not have been producing metal badges in quantity c.1964, as anodised were introduced some 10 years earlier?

Andy
Old 16-12-13, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Julian,
They should not have been producing metal badges in quantity c.1964, as anodised were introduced some 10 years earlier?

Andy
Do not blame Gaunt for flooding the market in the 1970s. Gaunt was a commercial company. Militaria traders of the time put in orders.

I remember being told in London militaria shops that no one wanted those ugly stay bright badges and buttons. They were never going to be collectable. Collectors got what they wanted: gilt metal badges.
Old 16-12-13, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Julian,

Andy
Yes there were but only for some designs. However a/a sealed patterns were not produced for many infantry or yeomanry regts until well into the mid 1960s. Before that date metal badges were still being ordered up to then.