British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-01-12, 08:37 PM

Default 2nd Volunteer Btln HLI Collar Badges

Hi
I recently purchased two collar badges to the 2nd Volunteer Btln HLI , They both have the scroll on them 2nd Volunteer Battalion . Has ANYONE heard of fakes of these, as can not seem to find a reference to them any where, my next stop will probably be the RHF HLI museum ,but this will have to wait till i have had surgery. So can any one help .

Dan
Old 14-01-12, 10:00 PM

Hi Dan.

Colin Churchill's book, item 1661: "Another other ranks collar badge in white metal had an additional scroll, "2nd VOLR BATTN"

Regards
Brian

P.S. Hopw the surgery goes well.
Old 14-01-12, 10:01 PM

Hi Dan.

Colin Churchill's book, item 1661: "Another other ranks collar badge in white metal had an additional scroll, "2nd VOLR BATTN"

Regards
Brian

P.S. Hope the surgery goes well.
Old 14-01-12, 10:21 PM

Hi Brian

Many thanks for the information, all i need now is a matching collar unless they made them all face the same way to save money. Among the collar badges was a pair with a elephant which has a chair on top of it surrounded by a wreath, i was mistakenly thinking it was dumbarton volunteers , but i now know it is not any clues on that one they are made of brass.

Danny
Old 14-01-12, 11:03 PM

Hi again Danny.

Glad it helped.

I’ve just had a quick scan through Churchill’s in relation to the HLI collars, it doesn’t appear that they were worn in facing pairs.

Post 1881: A directive was issued 10th July 1882 that “the collar badge be worn in white metal – in pairs, the bell of the bugle and head of the elephant turned outwards in both cases”

I can’t see anything else included in the chapter that states differently or that they were worn as ‘opposite pairs’.

The West Riding Regiment have collars that are Elephants with howdahs, (a chair), on their backs. I believe that these were gilding metal. BUT, they do not have a wreath around the badge.

However, again Churchill’s shows item 1851, an elephant with a howdah on it’s back, as being worn by 1st Dumbartonshire RVC, who became 6th VB of the A ans S Highlanders, “ a laurel wreath in the voided centre of which was an elephant with a decorated saddle cloth, girth strap and on it’s back a howdah in the shape of a castle and above which, a scroll inscribed FORTITUDO ET FIDELITAS”.

BUT, they were white metal for other ranks and silver/gilt for officers.

Regards again

Brian
Old 14-01-12, 11:22 PM

Cool Collars

Danny,
The pair of elephants with howdahs sound like Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding) collars.

Rob
Old 15-01-12, 08:49 PM

Yes it is a chair on the Elephants back and not a castle, it does have a wreath around it , so i would agree that its is the duke of wellingtons , any one interested in them can make a offer or trade me something HLI or Glasgow Highlanders.

Danny
Old 15-01-12, 11:36 PM

Hi again Danny.

Have another read of my last post, IF IT HAS got a wreath around it, then it is the Dumbartonshire collars.

Regards
Brian
Old 16-01-12, 05:20 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrae View Post
Hi
I recently purchased two collar badges to the 2nd Volunteer Btln HLI , They both have the scroll on them 2nd Volunteer Battalion . Has ANYONE heard of fakes of these, as can not seem to find a reference to them any where, my next stop will probably be the RHF HLI museum ,but this will have to wait till i have had surgery. So can any one help .

Dan
Here a pair

peter

2nd VB HLI RARE PAIR OF COLLARS (1) 70.jpg
Old 16-01-12, 05:51 PM

you would have a matching pair peter . Just as i am about to have surgery on thursday i can now grit my teeth and snarly damm you peter damm you unless you want to sell me them

Dan
Old 16-01-12, 05:57 PM

don't know if this upload worked

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (36.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 16-01-12, 06:40 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrae View Post
don't know if this upload worked

Dan
Dan nice and v rare pre 1882 collars to the 74th foot

peter