British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-14, 01:41 PM

Default 4th Hussar Duty Plate+Middlesex Medallion Query

Hello peeps. I have a query about a 4th Hussars duty plate, the embossed badge isnt queens hussars and i cant find it anywhere else, any help welcomed. Also the bronze medallion says LC H.A. Eden 1st Middlesex Reg and on the reverse it says Army Vs Volrs. Im wondering is the SIRA for South Indian Rifle Association as its the only thing i can find which it might refer to. Any help or informaiton as always is appreciated people. And happy Crimbos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1plate 001.jpg (49.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg a1plate 003.jpg (47.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg a1plate 004.jpg (73.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg a1plate 005.jpg (61.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg a1plate 006.jpg (72.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg a1plate 007.jpg (62.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-12-14, 03:22 PM

The embossed badge is a regimental crest which was used commonly enough in its day. You could get more information from the Queen's Royal Hussars History Section.
Old 07-12-14, 03:28 PM

Hello Tarabelle,

Very nice duty plate for the 4th Hussars. I am no badge expert but I suspect that as this is an "unofficial" plate they did not have to use the design of badge as laid down in the Dress Regulations. A bit like the buttons used by waiters in the officers' mess, a regimental design but not the official one.

The plate does say 4th Queen's Own Hussars and, as far as I can see, the battle honours are right for the 4th Hussars, so I am going to stick my neck out and say 4th Hussars it is!

Now this is where a badge expert comes along and proves me wrong!

Regards
Roger
Old 07-12-14, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Hello Tarabelle,

Very nice duty plate for the 4th Hussars. I am no badge expert but I suspect that as this is an "unofficial" plate they did not have to use the design of badge as laid down in the Dress Regulations. A bit like the buttons used by waiters in the officers' mess, a regimental design but not the official one.

The plate does say 4th Queen's Own Hussars and, as far as I can see, the battle honours are right for the 4th Hussars, so I am going to stick my neck out and say 4th Hussars it is!

Now this is where a badge expert comes along and proves me wrong!

Regards
Roger
No, the crest is an official 4 QOH one. Those scrolls down the sides are battle honours. If they were going to make something local it wouldn't be as elaborate as that I can assure you.

BTW, I'm ex QRIH and know the badges and crests of my regiment which was an amalgamation of the 4th Queen's Own and 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars.

See here:

EDIT: To explain - that is the crest of the regiment, not its badge. It would have been found on printed stationery like letterheads, place cards for the messes, anything which was personalised to the 4th QOH. It's still used today on some of our OCA stationery

Last edited by Hussar100; 07-12-14 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-12-14, 04:46 PM

Hi Cribyn and Hussar100 thank you very much for all this information which is very helpful. Now i realise why i couldnt find the connection between the badge and the plate, thanks for clearing that up my friend will be very happy
Old 07-12-14, 09:48 PM

You're very welcome. Another piece of information for those who are interested is:

I can't speak for the infantry but all cavalry regiments have a second, more elaborate crest - similar to this one, generally one which would be very difficult to reproduce as a cap badge, which they use for stationery etc. You can see some of them on the old cigarette cards or silks we were discussing the other week.