British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-01-10, 02:53 AM

Default Beautiful Scully RCAF officer's cap badge

Hi.

I just picked up this beautiful Scully-made RCAF officer's visor cap badge (thanks Wayne!) and wanted to show it off. I am looking for some more info. on this particular style of badge. Most of the WW2 officer badges I have come across are the bullion style ones. What can you guys tell me about this badge?

Another question: Were the badges on the RAF and RCAF visor caps typically made by the cap maker (and sold on the cap), or were they purchased seperately from makers such as Scully and then added to the caps? Would this badge have only been found on a Scully-made cap, or might it have been used on a cap from a different maker?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5417.JPG (51.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5415.JPG (38.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 27-01-10, 03:03 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

I understand they were the economy (metal)type wartime badge , same as the RCN had,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (53.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 27-01-10, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
I understand they were the economy (metal)type wartime badge , same as the RCN had,
Would the bullion version have been considered a finer badge, and more desirable in its day?
Old 27-01-10, 10:53 PM

Received this reply from another forum:

In the early days of the RAF (circa 1918-19) there was an all metal badge, which is now sought after. The three pieces (crown, eagle and wreath) were affixed to a metal back plate with a wool backing in between. They were finished off with a round gilt 'medalion' on the reverse bearing the name of the maker, J. R. Gaunt. Quite soon these were replaced by the bullion version (bullion crown and wreath, with gilt or brass eagle).

During World War Two, gilt became scarce with the result that an economy version was made, appearing round about the start of 1944. I have some dress regulations for the Air Training Corps of April 3rd 1944, which state: '...Officers are notified that, owing to an acute shortage of the gold wire used in officers cap badges in all three services, a cap badge made of other materials is now generally available which is almost indistinguishable from the standard pattern...'. I cant be certain that a Canadian made economy badge was made for the same reason but its likely.

As to it being considered a finer badge, that would depend on the individual wearer.

The badge you have is World War Two era, rather than the just post World War One type, but like all such items thay would have been made and issued past the end of the war, certainly for the following year or two.

With regards caps and badges, they would be supplied to tailors by the individual companies (for example Gieves, Burtons, or Bates for the cap, and Gaunts or Firmin for the badge) and purchased individually by the officer. Its highly unlikely that a Scully (Canadian) made badge would be sold with a Bates (English) made cap. However there would of course be cases where an officer might have been kitted out in Canada and then been posted to England, at some point purchasing a new cap (as a replacement for a worn or dirty one) but retaining the original cap badge, if in suitable condition, to reduce the cost.

Exactly the information I was looking for!
Old 28-01-10, 02:00 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

IMO, and from what I experienced the bullion is more sought after. I think though that the Navy one I displayed above is as nice a badge as I;ve seen although RCN tells me they turned pretty green with the salt water, but I've seen some of the bullion turned that way also.
Old 01-02-10, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
IMO, and from what I experienced the bullion is more sought after. I think though that the Navy one I displayed above is as nice a badge as I;ve seen although RCN tells me they turned pretty green with the salt water, but I've seen some of the bullion turned that way also.
The RCN metal cap badge came in in 1944 as an economy measure & I expect the RCAF officer's example that ledfut has shown is of the same time frame.

Yes, the metal cap badges did not fare well when exposed to the elements, they dulled up fairly quickly & looked pretty bad once they had some "sea time" in.

here is one of my older examples:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Officer KC metal.jpg (97.7 KB, 15 views)