British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-01-18, 11:35 PM

Default 25162992 L/Cpl. B. J. Drake.

Someone in our old squadron's facebook group informs us the medals to the above named were found in a car being scrapped in Exeter. The person who found them would like to return them to the owner and is wondering how to go about it. Could anyone on the forum help at all ?. Cheers, Hoot.
Old 07-01-18, 11:50 PM

Hi Hoot, A quick search on twitter seems to indicate that they were found early December and they have subsequently been reuited with their owner - although I have no personal knowledge of that, only reporting what I read. Probably most comprehensive thread is here.
Old 07-01-18, 11:57 PM

I once returned a Great War Victory Medal to the family of the recipient. It involved the cooperation of a local newspaper printing an article.

A number of potential candidates eventually emerged, and it fell to me ultimately to choose between them (an unpleasant task I had naively not anticipated). It brought a few shysters out of the woodwork too, but in the end it went to the closest surviving family member. But how do you really decide?

There was no online social media network to turn to back then, which might have made the task a great deal easier. Perhaps Facebook might be a good first point of call, if you haven't already investigated that?

Cheers,

JT
Old 08-01-18, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooffy View Post
Hi Hoot, A quick search on twitter seems to indicate that they were found early December and they have subsequently been reuited with their owner - although I have no personal knowledge of that, only reporting what I read. Probably most comprehensive thread is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
I once returned a Great War Victory Medal to the family of the recipient. It involved the cooperation of a local newspaper printing an article.

A number of potential candidates eventually emerged, and it fell to me ultimately to choose between them (an unpleasant task I had naively not anticipated). It brought a few shysters out of the woodwork too, but in the end it went to the closest surviving family member. But how do you really decide?

There was no online social media network to turn to back then, which might have made the task a great deal easier. Perhaps Facebook might be a good first point of call, if you haven't already investigated that?

Cheers,

JT
Oops! Apologies. Hadn't seen Wooffy's post prior to posting.
Old 08-01-18, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooffy View Post
Thanks Wooffy, that's good news. I know the old codgers on our facebook group are getting on a bit but old Dave's well out of date by the look of it.
Old 08-01-18, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Oops! Apologies. Hadn't seen Wooffy's post prior to posting.
Cheers JT.