British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-05-12, 04:27 PM

Default Queen's CBs detector finds

Hi,
Nothing spectacular about these badges but have a couple of pertinent questions I would like resolved if poss.
The first CB (without banner) is die-cast while the second is die-struck.
The first CB has a very ornate fleece with individual raised tufts and a pattern to the body coat, while the second is plainer.
This leads me to believe that the former is possibly an Officer's badge while the latter is OR's. It is also probable that the die-cast metal is bronze (Officer's metal).
Would appreciate any thoughts about these observations.
(Once again scanned image leaves a lot to be desired, I'm afraid)
Rgds, GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg queensCBs_0001.jpg (24.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg queensCBs_0002.jpg (24.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 31-05-12, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Hi,
Nothing spectacular about these badges but have a couple of pertinent questions I would like resolved if poss.
The first CB (without banner) is die-cast while the second is die-struck.
The first CB has a very ornate fleece with individual raised tufts and a pattern to the body coat, while the second is plainer.
This leads me to believe that the former is possibly an Officer's badge while the latter is OR's. It is also probable that the die-cast metal is bronze (Officer's metal).
Would appreciate any thoughts about these observations.
(Once again scanned image leaves a lot to be desired, I'm afraid)
Rgds, GTB
It seems that the Lamb without a flag was only used very early on, for example it appeared in that way on the 2nd Foot Regiment's Grenadier Caps of the 1745 Regulations. You can read a great deal about its origins here (although you need to read all the pages and not just the first one): http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk...b/lamb007.html
Old 31-05-12, 08:26 PM

Thanks Toby. Unfortunately, I was not quite precise. The flag has been broken off. A close look at the thumbnail showing back of badge shows the residue of the staff and corner of flag at the Lamb's neck and back respectively. Apart from that, as I already mentioned, the clarity of my scans leave much to be desired. Sorry for misleading.
Rgds, GTB
Old 31-05-12, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Thanks Toby. Unfortunately, I was not quite precise. The flag has been broken off. A close look at the thumbnail showing back of badge shows the residue of the staff and corner of flag at the Lamb's neck and back respectively. Apart from that, as I already mentioned, the clarity of my scans leave much to be desired. Sorry for misleading.
Rgds, GTB
Not a problem, I fear I did not look as closely as I should have done or I would have seen the halo and the residue of the staff.