British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-05-12, 07:02 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Default Flat topped East Surreys, slidered

The saga continues as to this badge. I have seen many over the years and some are truly horrid in quality. Peter J guided me to this one on e-bay, thank you Peter. I bought it as unilke some of them it has some really good points to it including three circular sweatholes and the scroll is interesting in the way it is affixed.
Matti
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (33.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (27.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (32.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 27-05-12, 07:33 PM

Hello Matti, You probably know this already but this flat topped one ("Imperial Crown") was authorised on 1st Feb 1898 (their first 'cap badge'). However it was superseded on 21st Jan 1902 by the Tudor Crown version.

But as yours has a slider, I would guess that the 'flat topped' one continued in production to at least March 1903 when the (short) slider wa introduced and eveb (beyond) March 1906 when the longer slider appeared !

One of our hobbies' quirks ! SPs at the IWM may help !
Old 27-05-12, 07:51 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Hello Julian,
Thank you for that tip. Like the QVC Staffs Yeomanry this badge appears to have been worn for a long time after the date of obsolecence. Peter J posted a fab WWI photo with a flat topped crown cap badge in the soldier's cap...
Matti
Old 27-05-12, 07:55 PM

Nice badge and yes there are a few pictures that show it in use during the Great war, Good find, Kevin
Old 27-05-12, 08:01 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Thank you Kevin. I am half amused as I,ve been picking my way through the reverse of my badges and am surprised that the lugged flat top QVC and the ligged and slidered KC have the same construction method and this one does not!
Old 27-05-12, 09:13 PM

Cool East Surrey

I have a couple of these, one slidered, one lugged, the slidered example was probably made on a Friday afternoon when the manufacturing staff had all had a session celebrating the relief of Mafeking or some other victory.

Totally a poor example of British craftsmanship, but no doubt genuine . . !

Rob
Old 27-05-12, 09:16 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Hello Rob,
I agree with that as some of the slidered are really horrid. Can you post a picture?
Matti
Old 28-05-12, 01:06 AM
Peter J

Really pleased you landed this one, Matti.

Well done, mate.

Peter.
Old 30-05-12, 08:17 PM

Default East Surrey flat topped crown

Here it is, a spare badge, £14 inc p+p to UK only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badges 2 005.jpg (100.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 30-05-12, 08:39 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Hello Mate,
Great badge, I see the castle has slipped slightly which makes me raise the question is it sweated on with sweatholes to the rear.?
Yours
Matti
Old 30-05-12, 09:23 PM

Cool East Surrey

Matti, no sweathole behind the castle, but look at the scroll, that two has slipped over the "E & Y". All in all, this must have been the result of one hell of a party. I do have other equally badly made badges, but I think this is a classic.

Rob
Old 31-05-12, 06:36 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Hello Rob,
I wonder who they were getting to make these, especially if they were being made into the era of the First World War. The quality seems to decrease steadily over time. I could almost start a seperate collection of just slidered flat topped East Surrey badges.
Matti
Old 31-05-12, 04:31 PM

Default WWI production

Matti,
I guess all the culprits are well and truly gone and the evidence if at all lays in some files of the badge manufacturers showing who was employed. What with the shell shortage of the early part of WWI, cap badge quality was not of paramount importance, the fact that GS buttons were worn in caps as well as cardboard badges shows how short things were.

I would think there may have been shortage of skilled men with women taking the places of those that had volunteered. The badly made badges could well have been the early attempts of trainees and what with the shortages were accepted.

A collection of anything from that period in the way of badges is interesting, I have the full range of line infantry titles worn at the start of The Great War.

Rob