British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-12, 06:11 AM

Default 4th KORR

Hi, Would appreciate comments & info concerning attached badge. It is cast brass and has 2 larger than usual loops soldered at back. The excess solder has been filed down along back of scroll. Appears to be period piece and workmanship. Unfortunately, scanner does not give a clear image of back. Size 1 3/4" x 1 1/4". Thanks, GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4thKORR_0001.jpg (92.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 23-05-12, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Hi, Would appreciate comments & info concerning attached badge. It is cast brass and has 2 larger than usual loops soldered at back. The excess solder has been filed down along back of scroll. Appears to be period piece and workmanship. Unfortunately, scanner does not give a clear image of back. Size 1 3/4" x 1 1/4". Thanks, GTB
hi, in 1881 the 4th regt. of foot became the kings own

and there is KORR norfolk yeomanry
Old 24-05-12, 12:00 PM

Hi, I realise the badge is pre-1881. Was wondering about what type of badge it is - seems a bit bulky for a CB. tnx & rgds GTB
Old 24-05-12, 12:54 PM

Puggaree badge- See here- ( 4th badge down )

http://www.kingsownmuseum.plus.com/mus03badpuggaree.htm

P.B.

The Kings Own Royal Regiment Lancaster Museums web site is well worth a visit

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 24-05-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 24-05-12, 03:46 PM

Hi, I suppose the Regimental Museum has the correct info. But what I am unclear about is the use of an obsolete pre-1881 regtl title on pre-1920 headdress! Rgds, GTB
Old 24-05-12, 04:05 PM

I think you will find that in the case of a number of regiments they were reluctant ( to say the least ) to loose their old precedence number.

The Cheshires are one example who continued, throughout their existance ,to refer to themselves as the 22nd Cheshire Regiment and to use their old number on badges.

P.B.

Of course it might be the Regimental Museum has incorrectly identified the period the item was worn,they have identified a 1LV brass shoulder title which was worn in the late 1960`s by the 1st Lancastrian Volunteers as a much earlier Rifle Volunteer item

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 24-05-12 at 04:14 PM.
Old 27-05-12, 09:42 AM

It looks very much to me like a Mess Waiters ("Khitmagar's") turban (Pagri) badge. These were commonly sand cast and were not regulated other than by the regiment itself. They were made in small numbers and so little has been recorded about them. Nonetheless their existence was very common indeed until 1947 and independence.
Old 27-05-12, 01:27 PM

Thanks Toby, very pertinent and corroborates 8thFoot feednack too. Rgds, GTB