British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-07-13, 03:15 PM

Default RCAF officer with K/C insignia 10 years post Coronation

RCAF high ranking officer wearing three different insignia with a Kings crown 10+ years past Coronation. Does this picture puts dress regs into question?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 16-07-13, 03:22 PM

Here in the UK it was fairly common practice for a whole variety of uniformed organisations to continue to wear the King's Crown on their insignia long after the death of the King. In fact there is one police force in the British Isles that has never changed and at least one police force in Canada that still wears the KC on its badges. If I'm not mistaken the Royal Marines continued to wear a King's Crown helmet plate well into the 1970's.

Dave.
Old 17-07-13, 12:20 PM
Banned

Out of interest, I can see by some of the medal ribbons its post coronation, but how can you tell 10 years plus? (Excuse if the ribbons, medals are not my strongest point) :-)
Old 17-07-13, 01:29 PM

Check out eBay 350833044927

Last edited by Bill A; 17-07-13 at 01:44 PM. Reason: livend link
Old 17-07-13, 01:56 PM

Looking at the ribbon bar he is wearing the 1953 coronation medal and his Canadian Decoration has two bars(bottom row first on left). Thirty two years of service minimum. Even if the 1964 press release date is showing an old pic, it is still well past Coronation when it was taken. I don't know when new insignia to reflect the change in Monarchy was integrated into the RCAF? It would seem not right away. Here is one of the top brass without it. You would think he would be one of the first to get it??
Old 17-07-13, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
RCAF high ranking officer wearing three different insignia with a Kings crown 10+ years past Coronation. Does this picture puts dress regs into question?
Air Marshal Charles Roy Slemon, CB, CBE, CD (7 November 1904 – 12 February 1992), known as Roy Slemon, was the Royal Canadian Air Force's Chief of the Air Staff from 1953 to 1957. Slemon then served as the first deputy commander in chief of NORAD. He retired to Colorado Springs in 1964 after a military career spanning 42 years.
Slemon was the Commander of Canada's Western Air Command from 1938 to 1941. After a posting to Great Britain, Slemon served as the Senior Air Staff Officer at No. 6 (Canadian) Bomber Group from 1942 to 1944. During the last year of World War II, Slemon was Deputy Air Officer Commander-in-Chief of the RCAF Overseas.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 23-07-13, 10:23 PM

The new RSM of one of the local Militia regiments still wears a Tudor crowned cap badge. Hard to tell someone you're not dressed properly when you can't even wear the correct badge.
Old 23-07-13, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
The new RSM of one of the local Militia regiments still wears a Tudor crowned cap badge. Hard to tell someone you're not dressed properly when you can't even wear the correct badge.

Probably because it's his first cap badge he got with this unit and wants to show how long he's been with the unit............remember that some unit still had KC badges in the 1960s.It could be a leftover from that period.........just a guess.....

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 24-07-13, 11:15 PM

He's not that old. And new badges have been around from the 60s. It's more to do with that fact that it's a "King's" crown, a totally incorrect term BTW. The current St Edward's crown has been worn by 6 different kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Probably because it's his first cap badge he got with this unit and wants to show how long he's been with the unit............remember that some unit still had KC badges in the 1960s.It could be a leftover from that period.........just a guess.....

Jo

Last edited by ddaydodger; 24-07-13 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 25-07-13, 03:23 PM

All interesting comments. I too have my own story....Three years ago while marching in a Remembrance Day parade I noticed a lower rank of the Lorne Scots wearing a K/C badge while on parade. So I am confused as to how this type of thing is tolerated in the Canadian military. Nostalgia, apathy, rogue people I don't know but certainly worthy of more comments.
Old 25-07-13, 11:04 PM

Many times it's just ignorance, guys go to the surplus store, see a nice badge, good quality, nice striking, but don't know that there are 2 types of crowns. I've jacked many a guy for that, not really their fault though, they have never been taught. Or they want their father's/ grandfathers badge, the one he wore "during the war", and think they have the right to wear it (same as for medals on Nov 11th). The best is my case, as a "King's" regiment we should be wearing the "King's" crown. Even though the St Edward's crown has been worn by 6 different kings.