British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic > Forum Operation

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-17, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Mike, I just posted some more photos & had no problems posting, they did appear in the "Today's Posts" section also.

Bryan
Ok Bryan, thanks for that.

While I have your attention, what are these used for? they are like miniature navy rank badges with pin fixings. collars?

Old 09-04-17, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Is that not what is supposed to happen? When you have viewed a 'new post' in a thread that thread should not appear in the 'new posts' list (after a few mins). If you reload or refresh the new posts list, the ones you have opened to the page that has a new post on it, they should no longer be in the list?
Hello Mike

As far as I can recall (and I'm beginning to wonder now!) that is not how the old system worked. If you opened the 'New Posts' page, those that you had not viewed appeared in bold and when you clicked on one to view it and then returned to view other new posts, the one you had viewed was still present but just not in bold.

Also, if you decided to comment on that new post then your response appeared as a new post when you went back to view the new posts list. Now this does not happen and both the new post and your response disappear. Unless you happen to remember the forum the post was made in you have to go to 'Quick Links' and then 'Today's Posts' to find the original post and your response! Not particularly arduous but something that was not necessary before, so something, somewhere has obviously changed how the system works.

If it is all just down to a change in software and just can't be put back then I'm sure we can all learn to live with it once we get used it.

Roger

Last edited by Cribyn; 09-04-17 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 04:06 PM

The GWF forum had an update some time ago now- I used to spend near as much time on there as here- I found the changes very un-user friendly to do searches and now only visit a couple of times a month. I'm sure though what we are going through is just glitches that will get ironed out in the end. Thanks to Mike who will be trying to sort things out. Regards, Paul.
Old 09-04-17, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Ok Bryan, thanks for that.

While I have your attention, what are these used for? they are like miniature navy rank badges with pin fixings. collars?

Yes, shirt collar rank badges...at least in the RCN.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 09-04-17, 04:37 PM

I have PM'd you Mike,

Bryan
Old 09-04-17, 05:14 PM

Have we lost the 'Thanks' facility during the changes? I would like to thank the originator and contributors to the Commemorative thread re Arras/Vimy.

Obviously the facility is not vital but was a nice refinement.

Thanks for all the hard work in maintaining the Forum - such IT expertise is well beyond me, and is admired and appreciated.
Regards
Mike
Old 09-04-17, 06:49 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Have we lost the 'Thanks' facility during the changes? I would like to thank the originator and contributors to the Commemorative thread re Arras/Vimy.

Obviously the facility is not vital but was a nice refinement.

Thanks for all the hard work in maintaining the Forum - such IT expertise is well beyond me, and is admired and appreciated.
Regards
Mike
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...0&postcount=32
Old 09-04-17, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Yes if we get a functioning version of the 'thank you' add on compatible with the current iteration of the forum software I'll update is straight away.

Quote:
Yes, shirt collar rank badges...at least in the RCN.
Jo
Thank you Jo.
Old 09-04-17, 07:23 PM

I don't post much but read the forum everyday for knowledge sake. Since I opened the 'new posts ' on Fri/Sat/Sun 250/243/245 new posts respectively appeared. I just logged out!

Cheers Al
Old 09-04-17, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Hello Mike

As far as I can recall (and I'm beginning to wonder now!) that is not how the old system worked. If you opened the 'New Posts' page, those that you had not viewed appeared in bold and when you clicked on one to view it and then returned to view other new posts, the one you had viewed was still present but just not in bold.

Also, if you decided to comment on that new post then your response appeared as a new post when you went back to view the new posts list. Now this does not happen and both the new post and your response disappear. Unless you happen to remember the forum the post was made in you have to go to 'Quick Links' and then 'Today's Posts' to find the original post and your response! Not particularly arduous but something that was not necessary before, so something, somewhere has obviously changed how the system works.

If it is all just down to a change in software and just can't be put back then I'm sure we can all learn to live with it once we get used it.

Roger

I'm wondering precisely how it worked before the update as well! I've only been using it 10 years.
There must be a script updating the 'new' list of new threads but it might take several minutes to operate.

I did think about uploading the old software again. I downloaded a copy to my computer, like I normally do before I overwrote with new, but I'm not confident of reversing the process. I might do more harm than good. I'd have to revert the server software (php) to the older version as well. Thing is we have to move away from the old php for security reasons so it is probably not worth reverting things as we would still have to come forward with the software to this version soon.
Old 09-04-17, 07:50 PM

I've never used the 'New Posts' function on my laptop, I always use the quick links 'Todays Posts'.

Accessing this way always shows the new posts (highlighted) and when I have opened a new post, it still appears but no longer highlighted.

I don't see anything different from the way it has always been?????

Ivan
Old 09-04-17, 10:21 PM

After going through a few albums I get the message "The connection has timed out" and can't connect with the Forum anymore.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 10-04-17, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
I've never used the 'New Posts' function on my laptop, I always use the quick links 'Todays Posts'.

Accessing this way always shows the new posts (highlighted) and when I have opened a new post, it still appears but no longer highlighted.

I don't see anything different from the way it has always been?????

Ivan
Hello Ivan

Quite right, it is not the 'Quick Links/Today's Posts' section that has changed, that appears to be working just the same.

As far as I can tell it is only the 'New Posts' section that seems to have the 'disappearing' problem.

At the moment I am using your method of reading the Forum!

Roger
Old 10-04-17, 06:11 PM

I can't now open attached photos. if I click on them the screen goes black and freezes. And I would echo the previous posts about posts I have already read showing up as unread.

Jon
Old 10-04-17, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
I can't now open attached photos. if I click on them the screen goes black and freezes. And I would echo the previous posts about posts I have already read showing up as unread.

Jon
Ditto.

Marc