British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-07-14, 05:12 PM

Default A Victorian prison tipstaff?

Attached are scans of a small, pocket sized tipstaff in my possession. It is entirely made of brass, and the crown does not unscrew. It is marked "VR 174" on the barrel, but the more interesting feature is a small aperture in the base. My theory is that this was to hold a small pen or pencil, presumably to enable the holder to write down the verdicts and decisions of the court.
The overall design bears some similarity to the Metropolitan Police issue for plain clothes officers, but the inscription is completely different. I doubt that it is a constable's tipstaff simply because they were not issued with them, and the number is too high to be for a senior officer. Given that tipstaves were largely for ceremonial use, and that the prisons were responsible for the custody defendants appearing at Quarter Sessions and Assizes, is it likely that this is a prison officer's tipstaff? If this theory is wrong, what is the likely attribution?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tipstaff1.jpg (27.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Tipstaff 2.JPG (61.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 19-07-14, 05:49 PM

Is the aperture threaded? If 'yes' it might have been to hold an Admiralty 'oar' to show authority at sea?
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 19-07-14, 06:05 PM

Hi Graham, yes it would appear to be threaded, so an admiralty oar is a possibility. Not sure who would have had a strength approaching 200 at that time. Most of the police forces with admiralty jurisdiction seem to have been pretty small, whilst Thames River and the Met had distinctive tipstaves.
Old 20-07-14, 09:56 AM

Hi Jamesb853,
Your tipstaff could be prison related they were certainly used in prison establishments. Only last month a Victorian one with the inscription Prison Inspector sold at Fieldings Auction House ,Stourbridge for £325.00 hammer + commission +vat.
Bantam

Last edited by Bantam; 20-07-14 at 10:11 AM. Reason: deletion
Old 20-07-14, 10:04 AM

Hi Jamesb853,
Your tipstaff could be prison related as they were definitely in use in prison establishments.Only last month a Victorian one with an ebony handle and the inscription Prison Inspector sold for £325.00 plus commission and vat at Fieldings Auction,Stourbridge.
Bantam
Old 20-07-14, 12:08 PM

Thanks for that, Bantam. Historically, the local prison governor was responsible for the "calendar" (list) of prisoners at assizes and quarter sessions, and an officer was always in attendance at court to record the pleas, verdicts, and sentences. At the end of the session the prison officer would countersign the official record of the proceedings. He would also collect the committal warrants signed by the judge, which had to accompany the prisoners back to gaol, where they were retained.
Old 21-07-14, 01:28 PM

Hi Jamesb853,
A sad day when they took away Court Duties from Prison Staff.It was not to everyone's taste but I enjoyed listening to good barristers at Crown Court and the legal arguments without the jury present.I filled in many a dock disposal sheet.It was also an opportunity to have access to some wonderful buildings and areas that others never saw such as The Court Of Appeal at The Royal Courts of Justice, The Old Bailey besides the many Crown Courts I attended.
Thank you for bringing back some happy memories.
Bantam
Old 21-07-14, 08:35 PM

It brought back memories for me too. I was working in prosecutions and we had to write up all the evidence too! Without any electronic devices in those days it could very wearing writing it all down longhand. Then we had to do the Disposals, not to mention dealing with bail apps and the like.
Old 22-07-14, 10:22 PM

Hi Bantam, it may be the same tipstaff but there is an Inspector HM Prisons for sale at JC Militaria. If you want it however, it will cost £950 (postage included(!))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inspector HMP tipstaff.jpg (34.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 22-07-14, 11:53 PM

This is a fine example: mine (like most items in my collection) is pretty ropey and I can't find an attribution. Would any prison have had 174 officers in those days? If not, who would?