British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-18, 04:32 AM

Default New Zealand Artillery Volunteer Headdress

New Zealand Artillery Volunteer Headdress

New Zealand Garrison Artillery Volunteers Busby (circa 1888 to 1910)
This New Zealand Garrison Artillery Volunteers busby is in a very sad state, the loss of over 75% of its fur is probably due to years of poor storage. There is no signs of a makers label but I suspect that this busby was made in New Zealand and the fur is most likely rabbit, although I cannot rule out that it could be possum. (Black possums from Tasmania were introduced into New Zealand in 1837 by early settlers to start a fur industry. In 1921 the Government made it illegal to bring any more possums to New Zealand)

Front view.

Back view.

This right side view with the bag lifted shows good detail of the stitching that you would not normally see, as can be seen it is made of many little pieces of animal skin joined together.

Top view.

Interior view.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 02-01-18 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-01-18, 05:36 AM

The following picture taken in 1875 shows Captain E. Pearce of the Wellington Artillery wearing an early officer’s busby.

The following picture taken circa 1884 shows a Wellington Artillery man on the right wearing an ordinary ranks early pattern busby. Prior to 1888 the height of the busby was generally 7 ¾ inches high in the front and 9 inches at the back. After 1888 the height of the busby was lowered to 6 ¼ inches high in the front and 7 ¾ inches at the back.

A close up of the gunners marksman badges made by well known NZ badge maker C. W. Roberts of Palmerston North.

The following unidentified picture was taken by Christchurch photographer Adam Henry Pearson Maclay (Circa 1900)

Old 02-01-18, 07:02 AM

The sad looking NZGAV busby with its new makeover.

The band of the Royal Regiment of the New Zealand Artillery continue to wear the busby but only as Parade Dress. Their busby is described as- "Locally made artificial fur busby with red plume, cap bag and cap. It has a red horse hair plume and brass scale chin strap. The brass plume holder is a locally manufactured large RNZA grenade insignia."
Old 02-01-18, 08:02 AM

You didn't take enough of our possums when you had the chance

All is not lost, lots of road kill around here if you are looking for black possum fur, but curse the Brits who introduced foxes and rabbits to us both.

Interesting post atillathehuns, busbys were the standard head-dress here for many years and I've often wondered how they were made locally and what of.

Cheers, Keith
Old 05-01-18, 07:02 AM

Default Sleeve badges

Those "marksman" badges are actually New Zealand Rifle Association prize badges. I have several. They come with dark blue/black or crimson backings
Old 07-01-18, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omok1 View Post
Those "marksman" badges are actually New Zealand Rifle Association prize badges. I have several. They come with dark blue/black or crimson backings
Craig I was in a rush when I made my post, I even used the same photos I have used elsewhere on this forum, but you are quite right, I have indeed made a mistake now that I have re-read what I have posted.
Both of the badges in post #2 were awarded by the New Zealand Rifle Association for the top 20 highest aggregative scorers for the Rifle/Carbine Champion Belt
The 1882-83 marksman “prize” badges were actually made in England, the 1884 badge was made by Charles Robert who established a gold/silver embroidery business at Palmerston North in 1882.
The 20 badges produced in 1884 are recorded that they had a scarlet or blue background, but I do have a copy of an original drawing by Percy Robert of a marksman badge that does mention a black background somewhere in my files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
You didn't take enough of our possums when you had the chance
All is not lost, lots of road kill around here if you are looking for black possum fur, but curse the Brits who introduced foxes and rabbits to us both.
Interesting post atillathehuns, busbys were the standard head-dress here for many years and I've often wondered how they were made locally and what of.
Cheers, Keith
Keith, I am not sure that your road kill will pass our customs laws, besides there is enough road kill on NZ roads. Regardless my Busby looks much better with its new fur coat.
You might be interested to know that when the Wellington Artillery Volunteers were first formed in August 1867, they based their regulations and uniform taken from an Australian Artillery Volunteer Company.

The 1867 uniform for the Wellington Volunteer Artillery Company was made by a local Wellington tailor Benjamin Poulson. The uniform consisted of a blue cloth tunic, with scarlet facings and cannon buttons, the trousers also of blue cloth had a scarlet stripe, the cross-belt and waist belt were white enamelled leather with artillery fittings, and the headdress was the busby.
I am not a 100% sure but think their busby’s were imported from England.

As far as I can tell from the evidence that I have seen so far, the Wellington Artillery were the first artillery unit in New Zealand to adopt the busby.
The following newspaper picture is captioned to be the Wellington Artillery in 1867, however the first time the No. 1 Battery, Wellington Artillery Volunteers paraded in their busbys wasn’t until the 28th January 1868.

The following photo shows the Wellington Artillery band, their uniforms were made by Wellington tailor Benjamin Poulson. I suspect the lace for the uniforms and Pill box caps were imported from England.

The following photo circa 1900 is quite interesting, it was taken by Wellington photographer William Berry. unfortunately it is in reverse.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 09-01-18 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-01-18, 05:56 AM

Thanks Atilla, I must dig a bit deeper in regard to manufacture (or not) of busbies here, they were definitely in vogue from the early 1860s, possibly of kangaroo fur in Victoria but can't confirm that.
Keith
Old 07-01-18, 06:19 PM

Attila
Great work regenerating the Busby! It’s a masterpiece!
Kind regards Chay
Old 09-01-18, 09:19 AM

Had a bit of a search through the old files for the original marksman sketches of Charles Robert.
The photo below shows a bit more of Gunner William Williams uniform that is in post #2 (Believed to have been taken in 1886)

The following is an original sketch of a marksman badge by Charles Robert dated 1883.

Old 09-01-18, 11:23 AM

Two interesting points revealed in the photo and sketch with thanks to Atillathenunns.

1. The use of 3 "loose" stars above the badge rather than the usual badge with 3 integral stars.

2. The sling is clearly shown in both to only have sequins for its first 2/3rds of its length, whereas all the Good Shooting for Volunteer badges I own, have sequins the full length of the sling. So is this how to differentiate between British and NZ badges?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 09-01-18, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
The sad looking NZGAV busby with its new makeover.

The band of the Royal Regiment of the New Zealand Artillery continue to wear the busby but only as Parade Dress. Their busby is described as- "Locally made artificial fur busby with red plume, cap bag and cap. It has a red horse hair plume and brass scale chin strap. The brass plume holder is a locally manufactured large RNZA grenade insignia."
Thats outstanding work !!!!!
Andy
Old 10-01-18, 08:28 AM

Thanks for your comments Chay and Andy, the badge on my busby has been in my collection for over 25 years, it was the centrepiece of my artillery badge collection, but I think it looks much better now that it’s in its natural habitat.

As a member of the Wellington Antique & Historic Arms Association I sometimes put my collection on public display. The following photo is a joint display that I did with Tim Ryan (Author of the book “The Colonial New Zealand Wars”) back in 2009. My display of mainly WW1 and WW2 New Zealand uniforms and headdress is to the far left and Tim’s collection is the pre 1911 New Zealand volunteer uniforms on the right.

Of particular interest is Tim’s display of a Trumpeter Sergeant of D Battery Wellington Artillery Volunteers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Two interesting points revealed in the photo and sketch with thanks to Atillathenunns.
1. The use of 3 "loose" stars above the badge rather than the usual badge with 3 integral stars.
2. The sling is clearly shown in both to only have sequins for its first 2/3rds of its length, whereas all the Good Shooting for Volunteer badges I own, have sequins the full length of the sling. So is this how to differentiate between British and NZ badges?
regards
Simon when it comes to New Zealand military cloth insignia, the Robert (Pronounced Robear) family dominated from 1883 to 1917 and is still in the same business today in Palmerston North. From 1917 to the end of WW1 military cloth insignia was imported from England.

The following NZ Garrison Artillery sergeant’s insignia (circa 1900) was most definitely produced by the Robert family. All NZ made military cloth insignia prior to 1920 was hand stitched, the Robert family employed a number of local women who worked to strict templates made by the Robert’s, so there is very little I have found in the way of variations.

Old 10-01-18, 01:03 PM

Thanks,

here are some of my Robert NZ artillery badges:-

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZAV1.jpg (58.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg NZAV2.jpg (59.2 KB, 17 views)

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 11-01-18, 07:51 PM

Hi Brent

Congratulations on a wonderful restoration job; it looks fantastic.

Cheers

John
Old 16-01-18, 06:05 PM

Superb hat Brent,
attached is a belt buckle center, similar to one in your photo.
All the best
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0723.jpg (47.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by stevjp; 16-01-18 at 06:06 PM. Reason: fat fingers