British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-12-14, 11:08 AM

Default south africa para badges

hi all.

not being a sf expert i have been wondering about these south africa para badges

i have seen this type
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-PARACHUT...item566e6c1650

and this type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/44-PARA-BR...item462fd5de8b

which type came first???

regards

philip
Old 30-12-14, 11:27 AM

Philip

The second one looks ok but why it is written up a "Scarce Officers Brest Badge" is a mystery...I am sure these were the run of the mill issue shoulder flashes, worn by everyone.

Brian
Old 30-12-14, 06:49 PM

Hi Philip

The maroon version of the 1 Parachute Bn shoulder flash was approved around 1988 and the 44 Parachute Bde shoulder flash in 1983.

Without checking actual sizes or what 44 Bde actually issued, I would say that a small flash is either a cravat badge or an affiliation flash. Cravats were worn by National Servicemen in the '80s with field dress 'Browns' as a 'step out' dress. Affiliation flashes were worn on a hanger on the breast pocket, typically by Permanent Force members, to indicate a unit, if other than the current posting, that was responsible for the member's career.

That is a very short summary but perhaps someone else can explain it decently.

Regards
Craig
Old 30-12-14, 08:12 PM

thanks brian and craig for the info

have looked in bragg and turners book but they just show wings so i was wondering if you knew of a web page that showed all the types of badges that was issued.

i have tried wikipedia and all other combinations that i can think of to find one

regards

philip
Old 31-12-14, 12:15 AM

Default para badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockape560 View Post
thanks brian and craig for the info

have looked in bragg and turners book but they just show wings so i was wondering if you knew of a web page that showed all the types of badges that was issued.

i have tried wikipedia and all other combinations that i can think of to find one

regards

philip
Phiillip,
Andrew Dinnes book has many of them as does Owens book

John
Old 31-12-14, 11:54 AM

many thanks john
Old 31-12-14, 12:03 PM

Hi Philip

The books above are really good references but the book "Parabat" by Marc Norman (and Paul Mathyssen if I recall correctly) is probably the best guide around to the history, insignia and memorabilia of the South African Airborne forces.

In the absence of the above references, you would need to search for individual units but start with a search for "44 Brigade SADF" and similar.

To answer from a different angle, 1 Parachute Bn over the years would have issued:
- cloth shoulder titles,
- cloth shoulder flashes,
- metal shoulder flashes (two distinct types),
- slip-on ("Tupperware") shoulder flashes (also two distinct types) and
- affiliation (pocket) flashes (I think).

They would also have issued:
- early issue Infantry Cap, beret, collar and mess dress badges,
- later cloth beret badges (two distinct types, although there is some debate about one of these),
- unit stable belt, with unit buckle, and
- unit cravat.

In addition, the unit or other stores would have issued members, where appropriate, with Army qualification badges:
- parachute wings (many cloth, metal and rubberised/plastic variations )
- shooting proficiency chest badge
- other badges, as appropriate.

And, of course, standard Army name tags - cloth for field dress and metal for step-out dress.

The unit canteen would probably have sold lapel badges, tracksuit badges and other unit devices and memorabilia for private purchase. Possibly cravat pins too.

44 Parachute Brigade (now Regiment) consists of a number of units, most of which have issued their own distinct shoulder flashes and, in some cases, their own beret badges, as well as various other items. 101 Air Supply Unit also has its own wing variants for Air Supply qualified personnel.

So, there are many badges and variations to look for if you start collecting SA Airborne insignia and it is quite easy to find at least a few items for a small display.

One just needs to be very careful of fakes and copies, though, as "Para" items are highly sought after and the unscrupulous dealers have found a ready market for their wares.

Regards
Craig
Old 31-12-14, 12:30 PM

hi craig,

many thanks for the very interesting info.looks like i am going to have to get a cpl of books on 44 para brigade

regards

philip