British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-05-11, 06:47 AM

Default 10th London Hackney

Hi Guys
could i have your opinions on this badge please good or bad either way, the other two examples i own have sliders, the fact that this has lugs puts a doubt in my mind
Cheers
Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0634.jpg (87.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg File0635.jpg (72.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg File0636.jpg (38.2 KB, 36 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 06-05-11, 08:03 AM
Peter J

Malc,

You are a much more experienced collector than I am, and as such will be aware that looped/lugged badges from this period seem to be a bit of a contentious subject. This, in my opinion, is because they bridge that intermediate period between the introduction of sliders and the declination of loops. I accept that this badge did not come into existence until circa (1912?) but I still believe there is a margin for it to have legitimately been fitted with loops.

My feeling is that if a badge from this period displays a good overall standard of quality, then the loops should not be of great concern. In this particular case, your badge seems to be fine. It has evidence of age and wear, the loops (from what I can tell) seem to be non-footed (if that's a word), there doesn't seem to be any sharp unworn edges and the definition/quality about the lettering is also good. The reverse seems to be reasonably well-formed, and the overall colour of the badge is not too bright and blingy.

I have early C20th London Regiment badges with loops which I know to be of sound provenance. I think you have a nice badge there, and that you should send it to me immediately, as my fee for this consultation.

Seriously though, in my opinion (for what it's worth) your badge is good; just my opinion though.

All the best,

Peter.

[Edit - I have no idea if the 'high tide' pattern pre or post-dates the 'low tide' pattern].

Last edited by Peter J; 06-05-11 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-05-11, 11:03 AM

In my opinion your badge is a good original. PY.
Old 06-05-11, 11:32 AM

Thankyou guys for your replys, now on a closer inspection the badge at one point was plated, there are signs around the front centre, edges and the back after a little clean with soap and water and the front has lost a bit of age in the process
Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0637.jpg (42.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg File0639.jpg (75.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg File0638.jpg (73.1 KB, 27 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 06-05-11, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Thankyou guys for your replys, now on a closer inspection the badge at one point was plated, there are signs around the front centre, edges and the back after a little clean with soap and water and the front has lost a bit of age in the process
Malc
I have one which I've always been happy with too.
Old 06-05-11, 12:20 PM

Ok thanks for that keith, do you think i should get it replated or leave, i have seen plated brass badges i know Wilf has one.
Malc