British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-04-11, 05:57 PM

Default Letting off steam....

Just had a very dodgy incident with Ebay, I bought a rare German Cossack badge from a German seller (I know this type of badge isn't going to be of great interest to most here but what happened possibly is) - on the ebay page he had shown an image of the obverse & reverse, the front showing it to be one of the genuine ones - hence me bidding. When it arrived it turned out that he had shown the reverse of the badge he sent but the front of the actual badge is wrong & a copy - unlike the photo on the page.
I contacted him immediately basically saying I was not happy & why & that I wanted a refund (no response) so I have now had to open a dispute. Surprise, surprise he suddenly he repsonded to that. Instead of just offering me a refund as I clearly know what I am talking about he has tried to argue it. The stupid thing is I can prove that the front image of the badge on his sale page is not the one he sent so why is he bothering to argue? I now have to wait ten days & then ebay customer support get involved before it can be resolved.
I just wondered if anyone else had had a scenario like this with an item being sent that was different to the image shown?
regards....Andy
Old 22-04-11, 06:30 PM

Grab an image of the actual ebay page showing the badge you bid on so you've got evidence when it gets to debating this matter.

I once bought a Heer infantry assault from a well known Hamburg dealer via the internet and the badge that actually arrived was way more beat-up than the one I'd chosen.
Old 22-04-11, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I just wondered if anyone else had had a scenario like this with an item being sent that was different to the image shown?

Yes, a foreign medal- original was shown, copy was sent.

Plus lots of people sell stuff on eBay using my photos nicked from various places - so I know others are experiencing it.

There should be a check box you tick for you to declare "actual image of" when a lot is uploaded. Still doesn't stop the criminal element showing good and sending bad.
Old 22-04-11, 06:33 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Andy,
Thats was one of the 'taxi drivers' tricks. He had a lovely picture of the 1st type of Tyneside Irish on his for sale page (WM etc, front and rear). What actually came was nothing like this but a die struck, blackened shiny bit of steel. I am sure others have seen the same thing. Good luck, David
Old 22-04-11, 06:35 PM
Former Member

Some dealers show and image and then state "The image shown may not be the actual badge your receive!!!"

WHAT's THAT ALL ABOUT!

Either idleness or deceit!

Andy
Old 22-04-11, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the comments chaps - I shall report back on what happens as it goes along! I have already made sure I grabbed the front image from the Ebay page so I have it as evidence should it be needed. In some respects it is lucky that it's such a rare badge & I know the intricasies of it as I'm sure many might have been fooled by it & not noticed - I somehow think this is what the seller was hoping for too!!
regards to you all....Andy
Old 22-04-11, 09:15 PM

thats a sly and dirty trick i hope you manage to resolve it and get your
money refunded.
julian
Old 22-04-11, 11:20 PM

Hi Julian,

If you paid by PayPal don't piss about contacting him just put in a claim with PayPal for a refund. There is a criteria to cover this sort of dodgy transaction.

Then when you get you money back from PayPal think about sending the piece back to the seller after he has paid full postage including full insurance cover as no doubt he will say he did not receive the item for which you can refund him via the insurance he has paid.

If he won't pay postage and or insurance tell him to get stuffed but keep the piece to one side in case he changes his mind.

I have had this happen to me and believe me the above works.

Regards

Chris
Old 22-04-11, 11:39 PM

Oh, and if that fails and your PayPal account is set up via a credit card you can try the bank. In New Zealand if you buy something using a credit card then you are deemed to have bought the item from the bank as you used their credit card and you pay them (not the originator of the good) via their credit card bill.

Therefore, inform the bank that the item was not represented correctly and they should be the ones to refund you and end of problem. They then go to PayPal to get their money back.

Again, believe me this works as I have done it.

Regards

Chris
Old 23-04-11, 08:52 AM
Badge Guru

If anyone here has trouble getting their money back I wouldnt waste time by listening to a dealer who says he is not accepting the item for a refund. Instead post the badge to Pay Pal with a complete description as to what it wrong with it. Pay Pal will then refund your money and the dealer who is being stubborn will have to pay Pay Pal for the item to be returned to him. It creates a lot of hassle for the dealer which in my opinion is well deserved.

Of course thats the only option when mediation fails.

There is a youtube video of an angry seller who is complaining that he had this done to him just because the buyer "didnt like the item". It would appear that the seller even repainted the item and Pay Pal still issued the refund!

Some food for thought.
Old 23-04-11, 09:29 AM

Thanks again chaps! As stated I have opened the dispute via ebay - part of their e-mail to me today is this :
"If the seller does not solve your issue or you do not hear from them in the next 10 days you should go to the Resolution Centre and choose the "Escalate" option. We can then resolve the issue for you.

In nearly all cases either the seller will fix your problem or if we find in your favour, we will refund your money within 21 days from today."

So I guess that's the way i have to go - interesting about putting the claim directly through Paypal though, I think I will take a look at that as well but possible will have to now stick via the ebay route as I've opened the dispute.
Regards....Andy
Old 23-04-11, 11:31 AM

Please leave him a well described negative feedback.
(I am not sure if e-bay closes the feedback box after Pay Pal has refunded. If the seller refunds, then it is available)
Old 23-04-11, 12:33 PM

A good point & I will make sure i put it in English & German so all his buyers know what he's up to!
Old 24-04-11, 06:51 PM

Just as an update - the seller is STILL claiming the image on his auction is the badge he sent me - best thing which I haven't let on to him yet is that I found the badge he has used the image from on a German forum hehehe!
I can't wait to point that out to Ebay Customer Support
Old 24-04-11, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossack View Post
Just had a very dodgy incident with Ebay, I bought a rare German Cossack badge from a German seller (I know this type of badge isn't going to be of great interest to most here but what happened possibly is) - on the ebay page he had shown an image of the obverse & reverse, the front showing it to be one of the genuine ones - hence me bidding. When it arrived it turned out that he had shown the reverse of the badge he sent but the front of the actual badge is wrong & a copy - unlike the photo on the page.
I contacted him immediately basically saying I was not happy & why & that I wanted a refund (no response) so I have now had to open a dispute. Surprise, surprise he suddenly he repsonded to that. Instead of just offering me a refund as I clearly know what I am talking about he has tried to argue it. The stupid thing is I can prove that the front image of the badge on his sale page is not the one he sent so why is he bothering to argue? I now have to wait ten days & then ebay customer support get involved before it can be resolved.
regards....Andy
Royal Artillery badge with photograph front and back of a rare plastic badge described as bronze. With the photograph of a plastic badge assumed he was describing the colour not the meatls as the photograph would be totally wrong. Bid good money for the badge. It arrived but was an officers bronze bearing no resemblance to the plastic badge in the photogrphs! Many emails, many phone calls discussing my dissapointment held through the vendors wife as he would not speak to me direct. Eventually got a full refund less postage (which hacked me off as the badge was not listed correctly) and got some wonderful feedback saying avoid me as i was a pest!!!!! Needless to say he got a factual feedback left for him rather than the ficticious one he left!