British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-05-11, 11:39 AM

Default Todays badges worth a trip to Tamworth?

Hi
Picked up these 3 badges and would welcome opinions on whether they are worth a trip to the master at Tamworth.
The one badge looks like what I have seen as described as sand cast, I don't know if that's right but would like to know.

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Repair 1.jpg (30.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Repair 2.jpg (32.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Repair 3.jpg (36.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Repair 4.jpg (33.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Repair 5.jpg (37.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Repair 6.jpg (32.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 15-05-11, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffrocks View Post
Hi
Picked up these 3 badges and would welcome opinions on whether they are worth a trip to the master at Tamworth.
The one badge looks like what I have seen as described as sand cast, I don't know if that's right but would like to know.

Thanks

Rob
Hi
Just thought I'd give this another push as I want to get them repaired but not if they are restrikes as that would be pointless. I hope someone can help me confirm if they are ok, I think the North Staffs is ok with the sweat holes but not sure on the finish on the Fusliers badge and the lug fixings on the other badge..
I know if they are ok badges then Dave will do them justice.

Cheers

Rob
Old 15-05-11, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Rob,

The SLI and N Staffs are fine. The SLI is early. The RF is locally made and is probably OK.

Alan
Old 15-05-11, 09:35 AM

hi Rob,

think these are fine and the SLI with lugs N-S certainly early version. The RF looks sand cast and if so hard to know when such a badge was made to give it a value worthy of repair. I have some in my Gallipoli album and I know these to be theatre made.

Would get the other two repaired and the N Staffs with brazing holes as with yours is the most common of the patterns I have seen.

cheers Dean.
Old 15-05-11, 05:04 PM

Hi Alan and Dean
Thanks so much for taking time to post. I am glad you think they are ok and will add them to my pile for the trip to Dave at Tamworth. I know he will bring them back to their former glory.
When you say the Somerset one is early with the lugs what sort of period are you thinking pre WW1.

Cheers

Rob
Old 15-05-11, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Rob,

Lugs can be difficult to date but I think I would be safe without fear of contradiction in saying that Victorian and Edwardian SLI badges would have been lugged.

Alan
Old 15-05-11, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Rob,

Lugs can be difficult to date but I think I would be safe without fear of contradiction in saying that Victorian and Edwardian SLI badges would have been lugged.

Alan
Hi Alan
Thanks for the update, I really want to learn and know I ask a lot of questions on the forum but I hope that members know it's just a learning curve for me.

Cheers again for taking time to post

Rob