British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-10-14, 10:30 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

David,

You do not have to take a break from the forum because someone disagrees with you, your opinion is still respected but obviously it means less to some than others.

What happened in Ottawa does prove my point, give a dickhead a gun and he will act like a prick ??

Let's see what happens if Mike was to run the forum in the same way that ' manchesters ' is describing the medal forum, nothing shown in albums other than badges, that would, I'm sure, upset a few people on top of which is the question, what defines a badge ??

As I wrote earlier, I think you are being too serious on this one.

Dave.
Old 23-10-14, 12:38 PM

Well said Dave,
Why should this Forum have to be so rigid? I collect Guns, Bayonets, Medals,
Blitz trucks, one goes hand in glove with the other, as long as it relates to the military hobby what is the problem?
It is great to see everybody's albums no matter what they collect, if you are not interested in someone's album, just move on.
Terry
Old 23-10-14, 02:29 PM

I always think it is cause for concern when a long standing member says he is going to call it a day, however whilst fully accepting that this is ( according to its name ) a Badge Forum, I do think that by extending the subjects covered beyond just badges to a range of militaria and military historical subjects members get a better appreciation of the history behind the items that the majority do collect.

One of the things that I find positive about this Forum is that most Posts on most military subjects will get a meaningful response whereas on for example the GWF, any thread that is started on a military subject that is not 100% WW1 related gets pulled immediately.

Much as the identification of genuine badges is a large part of this Forum, it would in my opinion be far less interesting and informative if it was concerned exclusively with badges.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 23-10-14, 04:10 PM

As one of those with not badge albums posted here, perhaps I have also offended the thread starter David, but I hope in my case that as my 3 albums include one on Badges, one on Military headgear which is related as the vast majority of them have a badge on them except for some of the helmets and two caps missing their badges which will be restored when I can find them and the third on military photographs & postcards which again most have badges on them.

If however these are deemed inappropriate for posting on this forum they can be deleted. I am also a member on some of the other forums mentioned who are more rigid in what is allowed to be posted, the British medal forum and the Great war Forum and I follow their rules and as it stand this forum does allow members albums to contain pretty much anything they want.

Jerry
Old 23-10-14, 04:42 PM

Jerry, I think it would be a shame to delete your albums and after looking at them I can't see anything that could possibly offend anyone.

Andy
Old 23-10-14, 05:21 PM

I tell you what guys - lets turn this ridiculous thread on its head and see how many badges with guns on we can come up with in say the next 24 hours..

Here are a couple of Omani units. Artillery and Jebel Regt.

Have fun

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOA.jpg (45.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Jebel Regt.jpg (44.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 23-10-14, 06:40 PM

I think it's okay Roy (unless you really are "a gunslinger")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi David,

The Webley & Scott album is mine. I'm sorry if it has in any way offended or annoyed you. I did check with the administrators to seek their advice and permission 'before' posting it and in this instance they were happy for me to include it.

I am a badge collector amongst other things, as you can see from my other three albums. My inspiration for sharing this album was purely historical (I have plenty of modern guns I have not shared). I have spoken with many badge collector friends on this forum who due to UK restrictions can only dream of owning such historic British military firearms and as an Englishman (now living in the US) I thought it would be nice to share the few examples I have for some additional interest.

If the moderators change their minds and wish me to pull the album down then of course I'm happy to. And again my sincere apologies for any unintentional offense caused.

Regards, Roy.
Old 23-10-14, 07:10 PM

Hi Frank,

I have thus far resisted the temptation to respond since my first reply earlier in the thread, as I wanted to give plenty of space for other members to offer up their own opinions on this topic. I may reply in more detail at a later point as appropriate but in the mean time Frank I wanted to reply specifically to your lighthearted comment.

So, no Frank, not a 'gunslinger' at all, in fact far from it. Having grown up shooting on a farm back in England and having been in possession (back in the day) of a F.A.C. (firearms certificate), I have always taken my ownership and use of firearms 'very' seriously and regarded myself as a consummate professional in regards safety and responsibility. Although I do have some modern firearms, if I'm honest I don't' shoot too often and I'm more of a collector that a shooter. However since I left the UK nearly ten years ago I must confess it has been truly wonderful to enjoy the freedoms this country offers, which includes the opportunity to now own some wonderfully rare and historic handguns by this iconic British manufacture. A lovely addition to my historic military interests.

Most of my classic webley pistols (the newest of which by design is 1916) are of obsolete calibre, so finding appropriate ammunition is difficult and expensive. Needless to say the occasional range trip is a real treat and something very special indeed. What does this have to do with badges? Well not a lot really, that much I freely concede, but as my military history interests are broad and varied ( as I think many collectors are), then I have no problem enjoying or indeed 'sharing' my passions. But the latter can't be said for all my fellow countryman back home in Britain who can't enjoy the freedoms I have and it is for that reason and in the spirit of sharing, I thought it would be nice to share this part of my passion with my fellow collectors (badge or otherwise). So a 'gunslinger' Frank….thank heavens for your sense of humor...

P.s Eddie - love your idea.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 23-10-14, 09:42 PM

Default Gun Album

Hello,

I have been following this thread with interest.

I collect badges also medals, uniforms, swords, pistols, armour, photographs, equipment, printed ephemera. In fact any item with a military theme.

I don't see why a chap cannot put an album together of his collection, rather than prohibit we should promote this activity.

I feel diversity is a good thing and hate the "Big Brother" attitude to so called incorrect entries or topics, "that's not the sort of thing we want here..."

As long as it has a military flavour let's embrace it...
Old 24-10-14, 09:49 AM

I've waited for a couple of days before posting until a few more views were put forward by long-standing members. Here's my view:

I've not seen the album in question because my interest hasn't been piqued (I'm not a gun collector). So as far as I'm concerned, even if it has a picture of the Rape of the Sabine Women in it, it's of no consequence to me.

The message being - if you're not interested, don't look. Nobody's got a gun to your head (pun intended).
Old 24-10-14, 12:06 PM

Needless to say if we all left forums we found some trivial offense on none of us would be participating on any forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
Obviously this argument is going nowhere since those who have responded all have strongly entrenched views that they are right and I'm making a fuss over nothing. Well, we're all entitled to our opinions.

And yes, Dave, some people do collect guns in Canada. And don't give me all that crap about it's not the gun but the person pulling the trigger. We have seen an example today in Ottawa of what they can do in the wrong hands.

Yes, I am offended by the fact that guns are being posted on this forum. I joined it to exchange information about military insignia. Yes, Mike, most of the albums are not gun-related; I'm just objecting to the ones that are, which are inappropriate to this forum.

Given that obviously nothing is going to change I'm taking a break from this forum.

David
Old 25-10-14, 09:28 AM

I actually agree with David Tremain, even though i may have posted items not relating to this forum.
The British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum. The name says it all, without upsetting anyone.
There are gun forums, which are very interesting, i'm a member of one. I wouldn't post anything to do with my rifle on this forum because it's a badge forum. I do find all military interesting and do not want to offend anyone, but it is a badge forum.
To solve the problem remove from the forum, items that doesn't have a badge on it, or change the name of the forum.
Andy
Old 25-10-14, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
I actually agree with David Tremain, even though i may have posted items not relating to this forum.
The British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum. The name says it all, without upsetting anyone.
There are gun forums, which are very interesting, i'm a member of one. I wouldn't post anything to do with my rifle on this forum because it's a badge forum. I do find all military interesting and do not want to offend anyone, but it is a badge forum.
To solve the problem remove from the forum, items that doesn't have a badge on it, or change the name of the forum.
Andy
It's not a democracy though. Nobody here can tell the site owner what he can have on his own site - unless he cares to accept your generous offer of payment for his site fees etc.
Old 25-10-14, 10:13 AM

I can not believe how some members are getting their undies in a knot.
Why does the forum have to be 100% badges just because of the name of the forum?
Lets move the wording around.

THE BRITISH & COMMONWEALTH BADGE & MILITARY FORUM.
There you go Andy all fixed.
God Bless
Terry
Old 25-10-14, 03:11 PM

Nice one Terry, we'll have non military badge's on here then.....and guns.