British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-10-14, 11:17 AM

Default Palestine Police Keffiyah

I thought you might like a look at this Palestine Police Keffiyah as worn widely by both British and Palestine personnel. It is rather more yellow than the photographs show and made of much heavier material than the modern thing. It is only fringed on two sides. The Agyl is black and much fatter and softer than the modern day item.

The badge is the early PP badge with a solid centre, dates 1926-1932ish so is probably not original to the Keffiyah. On the up side it's not yet faked and is well polished over the years.

The Keffiyah seems to be the same pattern as worn by a number of British Palestine units - TJFF, Druze Regt etc. It may well be identical to the Keffiyahs issued from TJFF stores to the LRGD. In my view it's too heavy and would not have been pleasant to wear in the desert, As a side bar TJFF officers wore a silk Keffiyah. Sensible chaps.

Enjoy
Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.jpg (49.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0628.jpg (67.1 KB, 89 views)
Old 23-10-14, 01:23 PM

Nice one Eddie, thanks for sharing. Can't be many of those around.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 23-10-14, 02:24 PM

I think not Graham and I also suspect that they wash out to a pale cream colour while the stamp disappears.

Eddie
Old 23-10-14, 03:18 PM

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for sharing, a nice piece you have found. As stated - I bet there are not many of those around.

Well done.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 26-10-14, 01:35 PM

I was watching that one Edddie, a very nice set indeed. I'm glad to see it went to a good new home!

The stampings were not shown in the original listing, that must have been a nice surprise to find?
Old 26-10-14, 04:57 PM

Absolutely. Very nice to have it confirmed as genuine even if in the hand it was obviously not a modern put up piece. The Agyl is not stamped but is also an old piece quite unlike what is available today.

As I say the badge is wrong period but is genuine and worth every penny of the total price so all in all a great buy.

And here it is in wear in 1946 - the date on the stamp. You can see the long heavy fringe clearly

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 17.01.38.jpg (36.5 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 26-10-14 at 05:08 PM.