British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Photographs of Australian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-10-14, 01:42 AM

Default Unknown WW II Australian Soldier.

Unknown WW II Australian soldier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !BZgObEwCGk~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLlzKDlBKnBuLhUNg~~_1.jpg (24.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 12-10-14, 04:24 AM

Another wonderful photo. A great shame about the "unknown", though.

A couple of years ago I wandered through the museum of a fading, once large, mining town. I was struck by size of the collection of photos of men in WW1 uniform and labelled as "Unknown Soldier From This Community".

I could not help thinking that for a lot of those miners, many without families and the hard times and all, the photo that they had taken so proudly wearing their uniform was possibly the only photo that they ever had taken of themselves in their lives......And we don't know who they are.

Sad!

Donny B.
Old 12-10-14, 07:02 AM

Coincidences do happen. Victoria Barracks museum has an old Compulsory Training cadet photo, all únknown'of course. However one of the kids was my uncle (born in 1899 and lived to the age of 97). I have the same photo with the name of the officer as well. My uncle apparently did "time"in detention at North Head for failing to do all his drills, but I could never get him to talk about it.
Old 12-10-14, 07:38 AM

Default Brass Numerals

Hi Kingsley,

I have a question about your compulsory training cadet photo, which shows your uncle and the other cadets.

Does it display any brass numerals, which were worn on the front of their slouch hats or caps?

Cheers,

Invest

Last edited by Investment; 12-10-14 at 07:45 AM.