British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-10-14, 02:51 PM

Default Any opinions

Hi All
I have had this SAAF senior officer's style cap badge for quite a while. The backing seems to be a plain white and there is no evidence of mothing or fading on the backing. Any opinions on what it might be from? It is very similar to Dinnes 3439 & 3440.
Thanks in advance. Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06529.jpg (56.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 16-10-14, 04:01 PM

Hi Alex,

Could it be a Nursing Officer cap badge? In the RAF, the PMRAFNS Officer's have a white backed RAF Officer's badge.

Just an idea.

Cheers, Bill
Old 16-10-14, 08:51 PM

Alex

A very nice mint piece, sorry thats all I can add.

I wonder if Dudley or Jimmy Duguid can add their opinions?

Brian
Old 17-10-14, 05:42 AM

Hi Bill
I don't think it would be medical unless maybe a prototype from the 60's or 70's. The medical service has been independent since the late 70's.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 18-10-14, 10:49 PM

The white backing would usually be from a Candidate Officer, but I've only seen them from post 2004, and only seen the white backing on flight caps and not like this one, from a cap badge.

I've attached a picture where you can see the difference between the styles of bullion wire stitching. The purple chaplain one, is from post 2004 and the blue senior officers one is pre 2004. You can see the bullion wire stitching style from the chaplain is the same as the white one in question.

I guess the next question would be wether the badge in question, fits into that time period that it was in your possession?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PK2.jpg (24.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 19-10-14, 06:23 AM

Hi Good Dudes
The style of embroidery seems more like your later chaplains badge and I have had the badge less than 10 years. Sounds like it may be the candidate officer badge.
That display you showed looks very nice, any chance of a look at the whole display if there is more
Cheers,
Alex
Old 20-10-14, 07:19 AM

Hi Alex
This is the full frame of that picture you wanted to see.

Cheers
Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PK2.jpg (57.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 21-10-14, 05:29 AM

Hi Jimmy
That's a fantastic display, thanks.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 27-10-14, 06:02 AM

Jimbo, you stuff is looking good,
Bill
Old 27-01-15, 08:41 AM

An interesting badge. I doubt it is a Candidate Officer cap badge (though it may be a prototype).

I've just paged through a new book on the Central Flying School and every picture of a Pupil Pilot/Candidate Officer from 1960 onwards shows a metal on black junior officer style cap badge worn with SD cap (either with the stripey gymnasium cap band of the early 1960s or with the later white cap band worn in 1970s-date).

White backings were worn on the side cap introduced circa 1980 but the badges were also metal on these.

As far as nursing and medical goes. If I recall correctly, the SAAF medical personnel used to wear SAAF uniform with SA Medical Corps cap and collar badges in the 1960s & 70s before the medical section was absorbed in the new standalone SA Medical Service around 1983 or 1984.

Most likely a prototype - perhaps somebody thought all officers should have embroidered badges. They may be cheaper to manufacture these days from Pakistan than the gilt badges?