British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-07-14, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.legionscotland.org.uk/u/f...rilMay2014.pdf

This may be of interest. The article attributes the Scotish cadets badge to those Schools who had a Cadet corps but which were not part of a JTC (formerly OTC and had their own bespoke badge design). However there were at least 4 School OTCs wearing the Regulars' badge for the Royal Scots, HLI and Cameronians in 1937.

It is interesting to note that none of the School Cadet Corps had Scottish Infantry regt affiliations and did not wear the Infantry badges of the day: hence the need for a Scottish Cadets badge.

It does not appear to have any London Scottish connection at all.

The text:

"As a school-based organisation, the Scottish Cadets existed from about 1935 until it changed to the Army Cadet Force during the War. The Scottish Cadets were attached to a number of schools, but not to public schools which ran the Junior Training Corps (JTC). There were also no regimental attachments in the Scottish Cadets at this time, nor did it have any direct contact with other Scottish Cadet units. The uniform was similar to Scottish Highland Regiments but with its own silver 'Scottish Cadet' cap badge. It included a jacket with brass buttons, all to be polished, a Black Watch kilt, a long horsehair sporran, tartan hose

Last edited by Alan O; 28-07-14 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-08-14, 07:00 PM

Whilst not being infallible Bosleys in their 25/1/12 postal auction had an example of the Scottish Cadets badge ( lot 583 ) and they add to the description "Affiliated to the London Scottish"

I wonder where they got that information from ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 05-08-14, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

There is a similarity in design and I can only assume that their resident badge expert attributed it accordingly.
Old 05-08-14, 08:14 PM

Alan,

I think there is probably a bit more to it than that.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-08-14, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

It's posisble that the London Scottish Cadet Corps wore the badge as well but there is no evidence that I can find.

As the link above shows they would have been a small proportion of wearers and as such it is an auctioneer's 'spin' to make it more saleable.
Old 06-08-14, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

If you filter cadets on buywyze you will see 3 example sof the Scottish cadets badge. However you also get the CLB KRRC badge which states:

'King's Royal Rifle Corps Church Lads Brigade Cadets cap badge.

A good scarce die-stamped blackened brass example on slider. Minor service wear

16th (Service) Battalion (Church Lads Brigade) KRRC was raised for the New Army'

All of this is true but if one was being truly accurate you would point out that the CLB badge was never worn by the 16th Bn and was worn years later only by Cadets and not by the Service bn. While the statements are both true but can be mis-interpreted and I believe misleading.

Last edited by Alan O; 06-08-14 at 08:23 AM.
Old 22-10-14, 12:20 PM

I have bought some old copies of "Dispatch" the magazine of the Scottish Military Historical Society and a letter in issue No.150 caught my eye.

I am not sure it answers the question of exactly who wore the Scottish Cadets badge but it does provide an interesting possibility.

( I tried to join the Scottish MHS once- never even got a reply )

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3710.jpg (66.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3711.jpg (65.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 22-10-14 at 05:17 PM.
Old 22-10-14, 02:05 PM

They must still exist some place as the Army Dress Committee have recently approved this sleeve badge.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 15-02-22 at 09:19 PM.
Old 22-10-14, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Not exactly as that is the Scottish ACF badge. They are sort of related but not exactly the same organisation.

I think that there is enough evidence in this thread for Bosleys to amend their sales descriptions .
Old 08-07-15, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...3,920434&hl=en

This article from 1930 records the change in badge with the withdrawl of WD sponsorship from cadets leading to the creation of the Scottish cadets. It brings the date of the bonnet badge to as early as 1930.