British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-08-17, 03:03 PM

Default Colour sergeants' badges in Victoria's time

I have just received a copy of QVR 1844 in wonderful condition, and have been dipping in and out.

One item reminded me of an old bee in the bonnet: was the colour serg/jeants colour badge always the Union Flag [excluding Foot Guards], or was it ever the Regimental Colour [essentially the facing colour plus embellishments]?

QVR 1844 unequivocally prescribe the latter, because there is a detailed description of the full-size colours which is insistent that The Regimental, or Second, Colour is to be of the colour of the facings of the regiment ...... that it places the title in italics thus..

When describing colour sergeants' badges, it says " a badge of the Regimental Colour", again italicised.

Many years ago, when my interest in matters military was general, rather than specific, I saw in a regimental museum a colour badge that appeared to be not a Union Flag ....... where and when I did not note.

Major Dawnay, in his definitive "Badges of WO and NCO Rank" says that GO 6th July 1813 indeed prescribes a regimental colour, but that a Secretary of State's letter dated 27th July 1813 illustrated a Union Flag.

So is there any evidence please [other than my elusive memory] that some line regiments obeyed the letter of the Order and used a regimental colour as the basis of the colour sergeants' badges?

I have also posted on the the Victorian War forum